cold chisel+mini sledge+9 degrees=great day

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
hey everyone
we got out today on the coldest day in a while. the wind chill was brutal but it still didn't stop a few looney detectorists. we went back to the spot where last week i found a 1785 conn. copper and on new years eve i found two half cents 1794 and 1804. zoyboy,doyboy and uncle zeus hit the spot with our cold weather gear on.it wasn't 5 minutes into it when i got high quarter on my xl-pro. 4 and a half inches of cold chisel and hammer later out pops a draped bust large cent.i can't read the date but otherwise it looks great.it took about 20 minutes to coax it out of its hole. not 5feet from that one i got half dollar signal,same depth. 20 minutes later 1794 liberty cap large cent. i damaged the corner with the chisel but otherwise it's in great shape. i only dug three holes but found two great coins. they are easily my best large cents of my 18 years of detecting.i hope some of you are having similar luck.

Attachments

• DSCF0683.JPG
    DSCF0683.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,121
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice stuff DR.SEUSS ;D

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Man..if I had been out there with my toy Ace250 I probably would have walked right OVER those coins and not heard a beep!

If I HAD found one of those old coppers, I'd still be out there digging lol! Heck, it's only 1:25pm!...

Way to go Zeus...those are some beautiful coins.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, shame on the ding on the 94 . :( If you would like to provide good closeup photos I can attribute the variety of those two if enough detail is present on BOTH sides.
You may or may not want to know the variety of the 94, it could break your heart if it were one of the very rare ones.

Don

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
i was looking more at the 1794 and realized that there are letters on the edge of the coin. it is the ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR lettered edge variety

Attachments

• DSCF0689.JPG
    DSCF0689.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,031

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Zeus said:
i was looking more at the 1794 and realized that there are letters on the edge of the coin. it is the ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR lettered edge variety

Yes, they all 1794's have edge lettering, one of the reasons the coins are thicker than later year Large Cents.
Here is a photo of one of mine, this one is rather rare variety, and in this condition, is still of the roughly 30 known, in the top half for condition.

Attachments

• 1794SHELDON19A.JPG
    1794SHELDON19A.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 998

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Zeus said:
thanks Don.........what makes your coin a rare variety?

The Sheldon 19a varitey has the head of a 1793 coin and most importantly the leaf tip and stem on the edge lettering points down. Have had mine verfied by serval Large Cent collectors and by a Director at ANR auctions, which is now merged with STACKS. :)

The Obverse is always weak in the date area.

Don

Attachments

• EAC Auction Apr 050002.jpg
    EAC Auction Apr 050002.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 976
  • EAC Auction Apr 050001red.jpg
    EAC Auction Apr 050001red.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 955

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Silver Zeus said:
thanks Don.........what makes your coin a rare variety?

The Sheldon 19a varitey has the head of a 1793 coin and most importantly the leaf tip and stem on the edge lettering points down. Have had mine verfied by serval Large Cent collectors and a office at ANR auctions, which is now merged with STACKS. :)

The Obverse is always weak in the date area.

Don

Wow, you two guys are awesome. Thanks for posting your pictures the both of you.

Silver Zeus, those are some great finds. How deep did you have to dig them and how deep was the frost line? Man you did great. Thanks for the post and the great pictures.

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
thanks for the info Don. and you too ringfinder. in answer to your question the frost level is about 7 inches down and the ground was like chipping into concrete.after realizing the words on the edge of the 1794 large cent i had to dig out the 1794 half cent i found on new years eve and lo and behold it has TWO HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR barely readable on its edge Totally awesome.both large cents were about 4 and a half inches deep.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Nice coins!!!!
Glad you had the drive to get out there with your chisel!!!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds, Some determined folks in snow country, Fossis.................

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice !and i learned something !!Y'all are braver than i am ! It's to darn cold for this guy out there ! But i am getting a new detector soon....... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread