Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I ended up suddenly homeless after seeing about staying with family I would go to a shelter or room at the inn, a program here in Nashville and churches all around here and other places I'm sure that let people sleep in their churches and provide food on these very cold nights. The Nashville Rescue Mission provides a lot of services that just go beyond being homeless and hungry and helping people get back on their feet again. It's sad because a lot of homeless people are mentally unstable and won't seek the help they need.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. People in need should be helped.
2. I have seen so many news reports about the hucksters who are not needy who stand with the signs and make more money than me that I have become skeptical.
3. Hence I only provide help to ones that I can verify.
4. Iffn I was in need I would show up at T_H's house with a case of 22lrs.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly it happens. I agree I see all these comercials on tv asking for U.S. citizens to help people over seas and in other countries. I'm not saying helping these people is wrong but seriously there are people in our own country we should be worrying about helping first. Just my opinion

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1. People in need should be helped.
2. I have seen so many news reports about the hucksters who are not needy who stand with the signs and make more money than me that I have become skeptical.
3. Hence I only provide help to ones that I can verify.
4. Iffn I was in need I would show up at T_H's house with a case of 22lrs.

If ya show up at my house bring wine. In all seriousness people are hungry,people are cold and the economy is taking a nose dive every day. People you never would have thought to be homeless can go that way in an instant. Soup kitchens are a great place to help out,feeding the soul and the body.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing is for sure... those who need help have to WANT to help themselves too...
I am all for helping people, but too many times people are doing the taking handouts only method.
So sad. The last time I offered my packed lunch to a man holding a "hungry" sign... he grabbed it, threw it down, and yelled at me saying he wanted"money"... Needless to say that pissed me off.
When I leave the parking lot at work, there has been a man and his wife and 3 kids standing at the driveway asking for help..
holding signs saying God bless...
need help for my family...
I am willing to help those who want to help themselves... by APPLYING for jobs instead of wasting that time standing on the street corner. So many ways to get help THE PROPER WAY.
I help when I can do it and KNOW I'm actually helping them in the right way... not with drugs or alcohol, or other expenses...
Not too fond of people giving up and waiting for others to do it for them... I had to work hard for what I have... and continue to work hard to KEEP what I have...

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing is for sure... those who need help have to WANT to help themselves too...
I am all for helping people, but too many times people are doing the taking handouts only method.
So sad. The last time I offered my packed lunch to a man holding a "hungry" sign... he grabbed it, threw it down, and yelled at me saying he wanted"money"... Needless to say that pissed me off.
When I leave the parking lot at work, there has been a man and his wife and 3 kids standing at the driveway asking for help..
holding signs saying God bless...
need help for my family...
I am willing to help those who want to help themselves... by APPLYING for jobs instead of wasting that time standing on the street corner. So many ways to get help THE PROPER WAY.
I help when I can do it and KNOW I'm actually helping them in the right way... not with drugs or alcohol, or other expenses...
Not too fond of people giving up and waiting for others to do it for them... I had to work hard for what I have... and continue to work hard to KEEP what I have...
I agree with you 100% there is a line between helping and enabling.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most that need help never get to the point of standing on street corners begging. They have pride and will figure out how to survive and earn it. Those people I will help all day long.

I once read a article written by a reported of a newspaper who was generally rather liberal. He spent 3 weeks playing a homeless person living on the streets and living in homeless camps. He said he went intot he story trying to prove the skeptic wrong about how these were people who just have fallen on hard times. But in the end it was very clear to him that 99%( aside from mental illness) of the folks were where they wanted to be getting handouts, not having to work, and had the attitudes to back it up. It changed the way the guy thought for sure.

Attachments

• welfare.jpg
    welfare.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Most that need help never get to the point of standing on street corners begging. They have pride and will figure out how to survive and earn it. Those people I will help all day long.

I once read a article written by a reported of a newspaper who was generally rather liberal. He spent 3 weeks playing a homeless person living on the streets and living in homeless camps. He said he went intot he story trying to prove the skeptic wrong about how these were people who just have fallen on hard times. But in the end it was very clear to him that 99%( aside from mental illness) of the folks were where they wanted to be getting handouts, not having to work, and had the attitudes to back it up. It changed the way the guy thought for sure.

99 percent ??? I find that to be very irresponsible reporting. It screams don't bother to do anything for those who are homeless. Its a lifestyle choice. Go volunteer in a soup kitthen then come back and let us no the percentage how you see it. Recently I did volunteer work at the Bowery Mission.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99 percent ??? I find that to be very irresponsible reporting. It screams don't bother to do anything for those who are homeless. Its a lifestyle choice. Go volunteer in a soup kitthen then come back and let us no the percentage how you see it. Recently I did volunteer work at the Bowery Mission.

Many times "homeless" is a preference... as in 'I give up to work hard" NOT ALL the time.... The homeless who stay homeless STAY homeless because they don't want to try to do better... I know that because I have helped MANY HOMELESS with place to live. If they are willing to help themselves... THEY WILL.
True saying: where there is a will, there is a way
I know several homeless people, and some of them will tell you, "I'ts not all that bad" I get what I need here and there"
I have helped many homeless people with TEMPORARY shelter, food, blankets... etc...WHILE I HELP them locate jobs.
Those who want to help themselves WILL find a way out of trouble... there are plenty of kind folks out in this world who care.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Post read "99% (aside from mental illness)". I have a tendency to believe that a great many of the homeless are indeed mentally ill, or experience phsychological issues to some extent. Many of the others are dependent on alchohol or drugs, which is also a psychological illness in my book.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually that same guy Spends Weeks also volunteering at a local Hope center, He said the people that came into that particulat facility were comepletely different, There was no alcohal, or drugs allowed at the facility. He said the folks who came into the facility were people truely people who had fallen on hard times and were trying to survive while they got back on there feet. He also wrote how the vast majority of the people going there would comeback later to repay in a sence what they had been given. I found the reporting to be extremely biassed in the liberal direction in the beginning, Once he did both he had a whole different outlokk on the street beggers.. The reporting he did was about the most responcible reporting I have ever read. He lived it for some time.

Jan 9, 2015
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an interesting youtube vid. A chap gave someone standing at the side of the road with a 'homeless' sign $100 cash to spend how he wanted.

The chap then secretly filmed the homeless man, the idea was to catch him out buying alcohol. Sure enough, the homeless chap went into the wineshop (don't know what you call them over the pond), but came out with packs of food which he then proceeded to go round the other homeless folk handing it out to them.

The man's story? He had cared full time for his parents, his father died, followed very soon by his mother. His parents home was sold to pay everything off. He had been left homeless, and had been for 3 months at that point.

Chap filming was humbled, and couldn't apologise to the man enough for his wrong opinion of him.

Just saying............

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Many times "homeless" is a preference... as in 'I give up to work hard" NOT ALL the time.... The homeless who stay homeless STAY homeless because they don't want to try to do better... I know that because I have helped MANY HOMELESS with place to live. If they are willing to help themselves... THEY WILL.
True saying: where there is a will, there is a way.

I have to jump in here. WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY = PERIOD

I will make allowances on that, certainly have to.

But if a person is reasonably healthy, sane, and "alive" in thought, anything is possible.

I will not go deeply into family history, but I was essentially born homeless. I went to 18 different schools before finishing high school. NO SOB STORIES HERE!

The result? I NEVER stood on a corner holding signs. I did always look for work, even as a 6 year old, picked up pop bottles, stole apples and corn from farmers' fields. Joined the army for the free education - I knew that education would set me free. Because I had NOTHING - I have no hometown, no lifelong friends. But I ended my education with 5 degrees and a 40 year career in construction engineering.

I had thirst and hunger, and I am deeply disturbed by the professional homeless with no thought ever of fulfilling personal obligations.

Many choose that, "homeless" as a preference.

I'm not snobbish - just a realist. I came out, and barring emotional, psychological, and physical disabilities = ANYONE CAN SUCCEED IN AMERICA TODAY.

Sorry for the rant, sometimes I am disgusted!

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an interesting youtube vid. A chap gave someone standing at the side of the road with a 'homeless' sign $100 cash to spend how he wanted.

The chap then secretly filmed the homeless man, the idea was to catch him out buying alcohol. Sure enough, the homeless chap went into the wineshop (don't know what you call them over the pond), but came out with packs of food which he then proceeded to go round the other homeless folk handing it out to them.

The man's story? He had cared full time for his parents, his father died, followed very soon by his mother. His parents home was sold to pay everything off. He had been left homeless, and had been for 3 months at that point.

Chap filming was humbled, and couldn't apologise to the man enough for his wrong opinion of him.

Just saying............

that was a great video, If I remember correctly he gave the guy another $100.. Great video.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what kills me...
The wounded warrior project...
That there even has to be one for those guys to get help...
A military person who has been wounded in combat SHOULD NEVER go without a thing.
Our government should never allow a wounded veteran to have to ASK for help.
It really pisses me off that someone who has fought/whatever for this country has to rely on outside sources
to just live a normal life.
There is something really wrong with this.

PS> I think that any wounded vets AND vets period... Should be REWARDED monetarily for this service.
If you sustained a life altering wound.
You should be paid very well every month ... for as long as you live.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen enough in my days that it forces me to always try to never judge another without having first walked in their shoes. There are so many factors that can come into play it's often easy to sit on the outside trying to look in without so much as a clue. My father once told me that even a homeless street bum can teach you something of great value if only you will try to listen and learn. Many human beings can only be beaten down just so far before they can no longer get up without help. No way am I going to try to judge what kind of life beating they've suffered. I just wish the best for everyone.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You know what kills me...
The wounded warrior project...
That there even has to be one for those guys to get help...
A military person who has been wounded in combat SHOULD NEVER go without a thing.
Our government should never allow a wounded veteran to have to ASK for help.
It really pisses me off that someone who has fought/whatever for this country has to rely on outside sources
to just live a normal life.
There is something really wrong with this.

PS> I think that any wounded vets AND vets period... Should be REWARDED monetarily for this service.
If you sustained a life altering wound.
You should be paid very well every month ... for as long as you live.

I strongly agree.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread