Cold last hunt for awhile at an old site...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was glad to get out today, was a little cold, -3.2C/26F and we had our first snowfall of a few inches. My detecting buddy wimped out so I explained to my wife where I was headed in case I was never to be heard from again, LOL, she didn’t think it funny and scolded me for being irresponsible and my only defense is I love the adventure. This medieval or possible Celtic ruin is a tough hunt due to the hillsides and has not given up much in the way of finds. Looking up at the ruins.
13Dec09Soficast.jpg

Outer ring. I found a heel plate to the right of the ring today. Looks older than most I have found. It was a little colder here on this mountain top and the top 1” was frozen, I had my forest digging tool with, does a great job, a friend made it for me.
13Dec09Sofiring.jpg

Another part of the ring wall, same picture as last week but with snow, LOL. The wall would have been made of timbers with rock and dirt between them to form the wall about 2.5 meters high.
13Dec09sofiring2.jpg

I think this cellar hole is authentic with a flat spot just above it, hard to see in the picture. Several other holes, as suggested from a forum friend, look to be from the archies digs, they look like fox holes from the army but the dirt dug out was piled up down hill so I think the archies did not fill their holes. Wondering around detecting, I got away from the ruins and into the forest thicket, found an old cart road I followed, then another cart road and another. I actually got lost in the forest, was a terrible feeling, took about 30 minutes to find my way back to the jeep.
13Dec09Soficel.jpg

Here’s the finds, not much but it was adventurous. A small horse shoe, two ox shoes, glob of iron, heel plate, small round whatsit, Four whatsits and four square nails.
13Dec09sofifinds.jpg

Close up of the round piece.
13Dec09sofiround.jpg

No idea what these pieces are but they came out of the same hole together. Might be my last hunt for a long while as it is supposed to drop down to -16C/3F this week, Brrrr! HH, Mike
13Dec09sofiwhat.jpg

Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o That is a tough seach even without the snow and low temps! Great pictures of the site . I like forests. Very old ruin should produce some great finds. Definately, would not want to get lost up there. :walk: Take Care ,Bavaria Mike & thanks for posting :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

nice pictures and like CMD said, there is definately some good stuff left there... Nobody gets it all.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful location to hunt. Love the pictures!

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful forest! Would love to see those finds when they're cleaned up. Could be a couple of very old pieces there. I wonder what that tapered round thing is.

Glad you found your way back out of those woods. Easy to get lost in a place like that, I bet.

Interesting lot there. I wonder what some of those finds date to. Do you think you have anything that goes back to the time of the fort? I'm glad to see you are still searching that site. I still think that there are some hot spots around there. I know you will hit them eventually.
Thanks for the great pictures and adventure!
Nice finds!
Dave.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! I doubt I get this stuff cleaned up anytime soon. The finds are not older than the late 1700s, probably later. HH, Mike

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Mike thanks for sharing. Want to swap some ice as its going to be over 105 for the next 2 days.

tinpan

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, that looks like some beautiful country you are hunting! I hope you stumble upon some nice Celtic sites, good luck to you! I would love to make it over to Germany one day and hunt some ancient spots and enjoy the beautiful wilderness areas. In fact that is one of my goals. :icon_thumright:

Steve

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you got out Mike but that looked like some tough conditions to hunt in (especially for a southern boy like me)!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRRRR! And here I am debating on going on a hunt tomorrow with the temp of 40 degrees. :P OK...I'ma sissy! :D Beautiful pics, Mike! You might wanna ask for a GPS for Christmas? :P :D Don't want you getting lost out there. :icon_thumright:

Merry Christmas!!

Nana :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread