cold war japan photo album a few planes and uss los angeles

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I stopped at a garage with a very disgusted looking seller and boxes and boxes of stuff - not sorted. Like 60 boxes and stuff stacked , make that thrown, everywhere. Everything from a 1/3 full comet cleanser to crudded pans to ice mountain pick, clothes ,chairs, half used box of tissue, glassware on and on. etc you name it.

I gave up after a while but did pick up a couple things. Mainly this photo album. After a bit of research it seems it is from the 1953-1959 era. There were other photos at the sale and I think the photographer was Charles or Walter McBryde and it was his personal album.. I can imagine he went to Japan and met his future wife there as there are a lot of pics of a certain young lady. I can not find anything about him. I found one of his photos on ebay uk so maybe he was an official photographer for the air force or something.

A little more research and that is the USS Los Angeles. The plane by Fuji is a hercules 60491 . The crashed plane is PROBABLY from an air crash in Ashiya Japan 1959. Not sure though.

I know one of you was in the Navy and in Japan so thought you would like to see! Not sure why the photos look so blurry..they are crystal clear in person.

I will post what else I picked up there in a bit. IMG_3067rz.jpg

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG IMG_3048rz.jpg IMG_3050rz.jpg IMG_3054rz.jpg IMG_3055rz.jpg IMG_3057rz.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did this house happen to be in Orange, CA
your description matches a sale I have been to twice.
Old Japanese lady in slippers, pajamas and old bathrobe. Lots of white hair mixed in with the black.
That picture of the young lady could even be her.

The first time I went there we talked a lot as I went thru a lot of her old Japanese antiques and junk. The second time her back was turned to me as i walked up, she turned around when I was about 10 feet away and without even thinking I said Ohayō Mariko-san and she got angry and said how do you know my name. I quickly left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread