Collecting in the snow

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Anyone else not able to wait for the snow to melt before collecting? Any tips for snowy conditions? My only tip is to look under structures like bridges or bushes and trees for exposed ground or rock. I don't picture this working well in some areas. I'd think road cuts would be good too but there aren't really any rocky ones nearby. In my area it's going to get above freezing next week but I still thought this would be an interesting topic.

I'm new to serious rock collecting and have been mostly reading geology books and Michigan field guides while I wait for the snow to melt. Decided to give a park a try Wednesday for less than a half hour. Found what I think is unakite in some landscaping stone that was protected from the snow by bushes/trees. Under a big walking bridge/pier where there were limestone boulders I found a few stones with coral fossils and misc rocks. Wish I had brought a screw driver or chisel because they were frozen to the ground. besides those places I saw a few bare ground spots under trees but not much of interest. I'll post some pics later.

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Wish it was even half that here.

Just got back from another outing. Seems to be a waste since there aren't rock outcroppings in my area. Found a few exposed sandy areas(The biggest on a hill where the park dumped sand when they cleaned the beach). Mostly found brown chert flakes and a few small nodules. Nothing big enough for knapping. A small red stone I found might be jasper(still need work on identifying). At least I'm getting exercise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rock exposures are obvious, glacial till also if you had that in your area. I like to go looking for boulders and check them out.

Upvote 0

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are on the right track. I would avoid road cuts until everything is melted and dry - you want to be able to see where you are stepping or you'll twist an ankle.
Winter is a good time for research. Have you visited/joined your local rock club? Google field trips of clubs near you to get ideas of where to go once it's warmer.
Are you close to a shoreline or in the middle of the state? I love looking through tumbled beach rocks.
Good luck with your searching!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Definitely tons of glacial till in my area. From what I've read most of the igneous and metamorphic rocks in Michigan came from glaciers

I'm near the Saginaw Bay on Lake Huron. It's mostly mud and sand in my area but if I travel north or east on the bay there are some better spots with lots of rocks on the beaches. I really like beach rocks but it seems like there are infinite varieties. Last year I found a bunch of fossils, a few pudding stones, some unakite, what I think is a piece of red jasper, and tons of rocks I'm not sure on identification. So a rock club would really help but I think I'd annoy them with all my identification questions lol The researching field trips is a good idea. I already have a lot of places planned but they won't be worth checking for awhile because I don't know if they are plowed in.

Thanks yea I think I'll be more careful until it thaws more

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread