Aug 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some look definitely pre-1850's.

Oldnails.JPG

Upvote 6

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
I find huge amounts of these the metal isn't iron but whatever it is rings up high numbers on the xterra 305

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here INredneck, even when turning Iron off I have pulled over 100 of these this summer.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find huge amounts of these the metal isn't iron but whatever it is rings up high numbers on the xterra 305

Same here INredneck, even when turning Iron off I have pulled over 100 of these this summer.
Yeah guys, I found a cut nail I think is made out of brass, it rang very high.

ID, your collection is nice, after you clear out all those nails go back and see if they were masking any signals of some other metals?

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
It does get more than a little frustrating but like u said once out of the ground maybe something else will come up

OP
OP
I

InfiniteDice

Greenie
Aug 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah guys, I found a cut nail I think is made out of brass, it rang very high.

ID, your collection is nice, after you clear out all those nails go back and see if they were masking any signals of some other metals?

The site is near an old mill... built in the late 1700's. There was a fire in the 1800's and was probably used as a hang out spot or pillaged over the years by people walking along the creek. I found large iron - seems like it was melted/cut along the edges, almost like they disassembled what was left after the fire with cutting torches. All those nails in the picture were removed from one hole, just more and more kept buzzing my pin-pointer.

I'm using the small coil on my Fisher F2, it's good up to 4 - 5" or so, I was in the creek for 3 hours then on the land for another 3. I find it's easier to maneuver with the small coil. I could go over the area again with the largest coil to see what it gets me.

OP
OP
I

InfiniteDice

Greenie
Aug 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The older nails are hand forged, and the newer square cut nails are machine/press cut from strips of metal then hand finished.

I lightly cleaned them and after drying I put them in my hand and they have a higher than usual sound when they clack together, this could be from the tempering of the metal when they were made/burned. I'll bury one and run the machine over it to see what they register as.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow, sounds like you'll be digging more old nails there for quite a while! But also you'll find good surprises mixed in with them! :headbang:

I often encounter modern burnt nails clustered on beaches due to people dragging wooden pallets to the beach for their bonfires. Though new nails don't interest me, I always keep digging when I encounter a nest of nails because I don't want a single kid getting a nasty nail in his foot at the beach! Well, one long day, after digging a scattered nest of beach nails, the next "nail" turned out to be a beautiful sterling silver ring with a dozen clear perfect stones along the band - one of my fave finds ever! I wear it every day.

Ya never know what's under there, lol. :tongue3: Have Fun! :cat: Andi

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
those old nails represent history, they held things together that are long gone now, makes you wonder what. cool finds indeed

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for those pictures

Silas

May 20, 2014
I live in a mitten
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's is a nice collection! I always dig the nail signals when I'm finding square nails. Their just rubbish to a lot of folks but as dirtlooter said, they represent a bit of American history and beneath that rust lies an untold story, of something built and something destroyed, all of it lost to time. Plus if their in nice condition they look nice on the shelf.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least they are square and not round!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just wanted to add, anything hand forged, even nails required a lot of work, hot sweaty work and they were made to do a specific job as well as to last as they obviously have. today's nails are a joke, bend easily or break because they are junk. these are the real deal, true American made by black smiths and their apprentices to be used to build the future at the time. they deserve our respect and yes, there are areas that have hundreds or even thousands of them that can be like pull tab trash to some... but they helped build America to what it is today. just saying

OP
OP
I

InfiniteDice

Greenie
Aug 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wanted to add, anything hand forged, even nails required a lot of work, hot sweaty work and they were made to do a specific job as well as to last as they obviously have. today's nails are a joke, bend easily or break because they are junk. these are the real deal

I totally agree with you. I love these nails, sometimes I wish they were maybe some pre-68 quarters or dimes but hey... I love these old nails!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you might have you a old virgin sight there?I always get excited when I start getting into old nails.what state are you from?

OP
OP
I

InfiniteDice

Greenie
Aug 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you might have you a old virgin sight there?I always get excited when I start getting into old nails.what state are you from?

Ontario, Canada.

They are not deep @ about 3" or so, as I dug those out the pinpointer just kept ringing so I kept grabbing them. There has been light industry in the area since the late 1700's so it's likely someone had a building there at one point.

I have the ultra crap fisher freebee pinpointer, the ass end keeps falling off as I try to use it, I think I'm gonna mod it as I'm likely getting a garrett pro pointer next weekend. I think I might take the vibrator/speaker out of it and rig it with an LED so it blinks when it gets a signal, so I can seal it up and use it under water or something.

There is also an old swimming hole near there, I think it was a popular place to swim in the 50's and 60's so that could mean some 90% silver! Just not sure about getting down the 10ft or so... Murky water with things moving around in it is slightly freaky :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread