🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Collection-Overwhelmed

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped posting a few years ago and will spare you the details of why. It was all personal stuff.

During that time, I found many rocks, stones and minerals which led me to learn as much as I could, as I was stunned at how beautiful they are and the ancient feel of them as I handled them.

I have taught myself a few things to identify minerals, but frankly, I suck. I tried and semi conquered hardness, magnification, reading massive amounts of information, specific gravity (I am the worst at this).

Semi conquering is basically failing, because if you don’t know, you don’t know.

I have spoken to and received tips from numerous people in various related fields, etc.

Here’s some of my stuff, all found in alluvial deposits in various forms down here in southeast Louisiana.

My learning about the ancient paleo channels and glaciers, etc. has been amazing.

None of this has been tumbled. All are as found, except for soaking them in Murphy’s Oil Soap and Water. Some have a light buff of Renaissance Paste Wax.

All were found in southeast Louisiana in various “gravel deposits”.

Can anyone just tell me generally what some of them are? I have much, much more than what I posted. I apologize for the quality of the photographs. I am relearning photography on a digital camera. DSC_5479.jpg DSC_5480.jpg DSC_5506.jpg DSC_5507.jpg

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Nice assortment, but I can’t identify much. When I zoom, the pictures are too blurry. I think possibly a piece of petrified wood in 3rd/4th photos. Some pieces appear to be chalcedony of various colors.

Upvote 1

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Your best bet is to post qood photos of the more interesting pieces.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. I will try to post better photos and be more specific. Some of these stones test positive for corundum, some for topaz and some other things, as best as I can tell. I have a whole Husky work bench with drawers full and tons more than that.

I'm just thinking I need to get rid of some it before they take over every inch of space we have.

I am just fascinated with stones now. They are just incredibly beautiful and Louisiana is the last place I ever thought to find such gorgeous stones. Just stunning.

And they all look like they were tumbled. I believe there are tons of tektites also, but not entirely sure. If you think about it, we (in Louisiana) are the tail end of any stones journey here in the southern part of the US.

There is a part of me that believes many of them could be remnants of the mounds created thousands of year ago by the native Americans and eroded over time by water. I do believe they have a very strong spiritual connection to the Native Americans.

I have heard many stories from people who have gotten loads of gravel with incredibly beautiful stones.

That's how I learned they were here. We got a load of "big rock" and I began to notice things were a bit unusual after a rain.

Also, I want to apologize. I have a medical condition right now which I am healing from but am pretty much at it's mercy as far as how I feel and it taking up my time unexpectedly. But, I am feeling stronger every day.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, they have identified what they believe was a meteor impact, pretty close up the road. I know heat and intensity can change the structure of minerals.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions