College apartment complex

blacksheep4289

Aug 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is the director of a apartment complex for students. She currently has over 700 residents. We have 12 dumpsters throughout the property and trash runs Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. Needless to say I go take a look in each the night before. I've only lived here a month and have already scored a laptop, broken xbox one, 4 nice bookshelves, and a fan. Looking forward to the May 15th. It's move out day for the summer. These cans will be over flowing with goodies!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great idea. It's the same with storage lockers. Most of the kids don't care how much is spent on what. It's a throw away society.
But, one man's trash...:thumbsup:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it don't fit in the car when they are leaving to go home they either sell it cheap or throw it out. I furnished my apartment soon after I moved from Nashville TN to Newark Delaware back in 1986 from all the good furniture the college kids tossed in the spring.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in a college town and used to make about 200 or 300 bucks every year from what they threw out, back when scrap had better prices

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother lived near the local university and would scour the dumpsters when the kids went home. It's a pretty expensive school and he would tell me the craziest finds. Designer clothes with tags still on. Electronics of all kinds that weren't broken - just didn't want to haul home. Bikes. The best was a purse with money and a few silver rings in it.

It got to be so excessively wasteful that it couldn't be ignored anymore and several local groups stepped in and turned it into a huge donation event which is pretty cool. The students turn everything in that they don't want and they hold a huge sale. Good stuff goes for cheap and they raise money for a local charity. A loss for dumpster treasure hunters, but all-in-all a lot less wasteful.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my daughter was in her 4 year college they would put out bins for the kids to deposit unwanted electronics. one year when I was moving her out for the summer I walked over the the bin and I got scolded by her not to touch anything inside.

old_chase

Aug 21, 2017
Sumner, MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother lived near the local university and would scour the dumpsters when the kids went home. It's a pretty expensive school and he would tell me the craziest finds. Designer clothes with tags still on. Electronics of all kinds that weren't broken - just didn't want to haul home. Bikes. The best was a purse with money and a few silver rings in it.

It got to be so excessively wasteful that it couldn't be ignored anymore and several local groups stepped in and turned it into a huge donation event which is pretty cool. The students turn everything in that they don't want and they hold a huge sale. Good stuff goes for cheap and they raise money for a local charity. A loss for dumpster treasure hunters, but all-in-all a lot less wasteful.

Yep.
I was in college and had nothing. End of semester I'd trade a $5 pizza to get a couch or a bike.
AMAZING what kids would throw or giveaway

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread