College Frat House single silver, clad spill

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals..been at this since Dad left a Compass GoldStar with me to fool around with in 1982..I am not great at it, but I am persistant. We who swing coil hour after hour filling our pouch with caps/foil/pulls/whatsits to clean an area to get down to good stuff, share a comraderie few understand.
I keep my trusty old Tesoro Golden Sabre in my van and use it to fill in while waiting on appointments. I was in a local college town and had around 2 hours to fill, the local historical society was closed. I would rather put in 2 hours of researching old maps/stories than coinshooting easy and obvious spots, but someone has to do it.
Spotted a large house on the main drag, circa 1920, yard partially covered in parking, beer cans visible from street, typical Frat House! A quick knock brought a guy and permission, so the "hunt" was on.
Lot's of shallow and surface clads, and site cleaning in small front yard for the first 45 minutes. I am old school, "diggem-all" so my trash/clad pouch getting pretty full. I keep plastic coffee cans in the van to dump to and head that way.
Seeing a back yard full of cars, I head back there and as I get closer, I notice a narrow path created by the property fence. Lots of chirps and clipping on the Tesoro means iron "foolers"...but one signal was mixed enough to get my attention..Probed, 2-3 inches, cut plug, classic, "silver on end of plug"! Love that! Bro8ught 3 '50s eras nickles out of the holes, which was throwing off the signal..perhaps why this Silver Wash made it through previous attempts with other detectorists. Only 1 wheatie was found on this property. Next door, same thing, easy permission. Right away, lots of surface banging in the side yard led to a 15 clad quarter coin spill...someone dropped their laundry money?

Attachments

• PICT0289.JPG
    PICT0289.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 465
  • PICT0291.JPG
    PICT0291.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 474
  • PICT0292.JPG
    PICT0292.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 461
  • PICT0293.JPG
    PICT0293.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 467
Upvote 0

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the ideas for places to hunt... permission would be easy at a place like a frat house. Some old frat houses near me too. Nice silver as well.

OP
OP
windage

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, I really wanted to use that time for researching some abandon spots, but...
I will hit this yard again with the new Etrac sometime this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread