Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most productive 4 hours or so I ever had with oldies. Got all the coins on video as dug too.

Had permission for this spot last year, but didn't give it much thought as the fences were not too close to the house I only expected a random drop or two. However after I got going I soon realized that the current house was not the original. I got lucky I guess found the sweet spot right away, 2 buttons, and a copper in the first 15 minutes. Another coin, another coin, and so on. No trash to speak of, but hotrocks in every swing.

I think the third coin was the shield, to bad the other side is completely flat. Even as it is I am super happy to find a colonial US copper. (Been high on my list) I don't think any cleaning is going to help identify it any better than just a New Jersey copper. I'll entertain ideas though ;D

Towards the end I got another copper range signal that turns out to be 1874 5 cent silver.

Might do some cleaning, and add the vid later.

Tis the season.

[youtube=425,350]R8_dsPJrpz8[/youtube]

Attachments

• find11-40.JPG
    find11-40.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,013
  • find11-40b.JPG
    find11-40b.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • find11-40c.JPG
    find11-40c.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • find11-40d.JPG
    find11-40d.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,010
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
yep I bet you had a blast! Considering the lesson you learned today you have probably missed many little hot spots paying too much attention to structures that are still standing. The vast majority of early sites we hunt here show no signs of anything other than what is in the ground. What stands doesn't really mean much to me, it's just in the way.

Are you sure that's a NJ? Many condors have similar shields.

That thought has crossed my mind also, not sure how condors wear, but since he says no detail on what would be the horse head/plow side it does make a Condor possible, especially be found in Canada.........

Don

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Colonial ½ Day, 9 Coppers, crossed one off, + more

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Don in SJ said:
What a great hunt, congrats big time and hope we can at least get the date of that NJ copper for you.

Don

As much as I'd like that, don't see it happening. Besides the shield there are just no details. I wet it as you suggested, but I think too far gone, not corroded, just worn out.

Milk helps bring out detail as well, but I think you're right, it may be too far gone. One Fine day of digging, Congrats! :occasion14:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
yep I bet you had a blast! Considering the lesson you learned today you have probably missed many little hot spots paying too much attention to structures that are still standing. The vast majority of early sites we hunt here show no signs of anything other than what is in the ground. What stands doesn't really mean much to me, it's just in the way.

That thought has crossed my mind also, not sure how condors wear, but since he says no detail on what would be the horse head/plow side it does make a Condor possible, especially be found in Canada.........

Don

I know of 3 NJ coppers found by friends just off the top of my head so it is very possible, but I think condor is very likely. There was many early Scottish settlers in the Maritime Provinces in the early 19th century so a shield condor is not really an unexpected find.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:

Don

I know of 3 NJ coppers found by friends just off the top of my head so it is very possible, but I think condor is very likely. There was many early Scottish settlers in the Maritime Provinces in the early 19th century so a shield condor is not really an unexpected find.

Rick earlier today mentioned about seeing possible edge lettering, that had me thinking, but again was not sure if he actually meant the edge or near the edge on the flat surface, I think he did mean edge, which means most likely a Condor, since they have edge lettering and no NJ coppers do, unless they were struck over a Condor Token and that sure would be something special. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:

Don

unless they were struck over a Condor Token and that sure would be something special. :)

45 8 19 54 2 22 and your bonus number is 9. ;D Do you have them all?

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I was not sure, but hey, fooled more than me.

I'd have to say condor it is, after a bit more cleaning, rubbing you can "sort of" make out the "GOW" at upper left side of shield, like your pic.

Thanks IP, even without the so called letters, top of shield points in a line, better match, most NJ's center point higher.

So when do these date from ?

Now I need to go find something else. Sorry everyone.

PS IP it was a blast when they were comming fast.

Attachments

• IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 623

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:

I'd have to say condor it is, after a bit more cleaning, rubbing you can "sort of" make out the "GOW" at upper left side of shield, like your pic.

Thanks IP, even without the so called letters, top of shield points in a line, better match, most NJ's center point higher.

jeeze.. I wish my coil was as hot as my Id'ing. :laughing7: Being wrong isn't a big deal because you had so little to go on, and what really counts is being more interested in a true ID and accepting it. There's many that would have slapped it in a 2x2 and called it a NJ and that would have been that.... but for me (and I think you too) I want to know the truth good or bad.

Date is probably mid. 1790s.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Rick what a day :notworthy:

You were a copper diggin machine :headbang:

Great video i could tell you was feeling the passion :thumbsup:

We both found a 5 cent silver as you called it :icon_thumleft:

Blaze

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
Wow Rick what a day :notworthy:

You were a copper diggin machine :headbang:

Great video i could tell you was feeling the passion :thumbsup:

We both found a 5 cent silver as you called it :icon_thumleft:

Blaze

Thanks Johnny B., Still haven't finished that "other" video.

Diggin machine...easy, gettin them under the coil...hard.

After watching your latest might get me one of those small coils, looks like it can help.

BTW I went back today for 2 hours, NO COIN ! Some of the area couldn't get to because of electric fence. will return.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also reverse wouldn't have GOW on it. It would say E Pluribus Unum wrapping around the top. Some of the toasted coppers I have though I had "seen" many things dates,words,winning lottery numbers...The eyes sure do play tricks. ;D

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthJerseyJim said:
Also reverse wouldn't have GOW on it. It would say E Pluribus Unum wrapping around the top. Some of the toasted coppers I have though I had "seen" many things dates,words,winning lottery numbers...The eyes sure do play tricks. ;D

Eyes no play tricks, sometimes eyes miss stuff in post.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:

hey there Rick, they sure do show up here, after discussing your find with IP this morning I decided to find one myself, NJ next time for sure :wink:

Attachments

• DSC01190.JPG
    DSC01190.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 477
OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool is that ? Pretty cool, that's how cool.

I don't think what you'd call a lot of these are found ?

One of these times, won't have to say "next time"

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd found a second new jersey a while back, turned out to be this one:
bct1064.jpg

Seems the side without the shield always gets worn. Can't wait to see what else that site brings!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunthicks said:
I thought I'd found a second new jersey a while back, turned out to be this one:
bct1064.jpg

Seems the side without the shield always gets worn. Can't wait to see what else that site brings!

I've found two or three of those but still no NJ!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Hunthicks said:
bct1064.jpg

I've found two or three of those but still no NJ!

I missed this post somehow...great hunt Rick!

I've found this same Condor myself in DirtyVille...seems more common than most.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to come across a site as prolific as that one ! 3 early coppers in a day was my best outing for coppers and I have never poped that many buttons in a day either ! I collect Condor tokens a little ! Too bad it was not a N.J. but a conder token is a good North American find as well ! I hope you find more of these spots ! Good luck buddy ! M.R.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread