Colonial bonanza and fairly out of place Colonial Coin from worlds away!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well yesterday we went back to the site that Bill D and I have been having plenty of luck at with colonial silver and other finds. It did not disappoint on this day either. This time I invited Aquachigger to make the drive down south and check it out with us. (I will not steal his thunder, but boy did he have a heck of a trip...including a little side stop at one of my local sites on Friday while I was wasting away in the office.

Anyways, to the relics! I dug a TON of targets and had a blast. I ended up with 36 buttons, mostly all from the 1700s, some early 1800s (one was a script early US military button, but can hardly make out the detail). One of the buttons is a neat "Fleur de Lis" button, though mostly broken. Some of these are attributed to early French and Spanish military buttons, who knows. Also dug plenty or brass buckles, including a complete (though in 3 pieces) early shoe buckle. What was the best find of the day for me was actually something that I did not even have any thoughts about - Chinese Copper. When I dug it, I immediately figured WWII era or perhaps a little earlier...well to my astonishment when I got it home and looked it up none of the 20th century ones matched. There was a close one that dated to the late 1800s, and I had almost just agreed that it was so similar that it must be that era. THEN I stumbled onto the actual coin with the ID. It is a 1796-1820 Qing Dynasty during the reign of Emperor Jen (Ren) Tsung. Now this site has produced plenty of early coins from the old world...but this one has me in disbelief. They don't seem to be too rare, but I doubt I will ever dig one again, making me very happy.

I also managed another colonial matrix seal, early rosette, plenty of lead and other brass, and a tiny little thimble. Bill D also did fairly well, but again will let him post his. All in all, I did not grab any silver this time or a killer military button, but in the end, I am actually very happy with my little copper from the orient!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC011913a.jpg
    SC011913a.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 266
  • SC011913b.jpg
    SC011913b.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 269
  • SC011913c.jpg
    SC011913c.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 252
  • SC011913d.jpg
    SC011913d.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 258
  • SC011913e.jpg
    SC011913e.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 8

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that you needed any inspiration about this site but from what CHIG found wood surely get the HEART POUNDIN!!! CONGRATS.. HH

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that you needed any inspiration about this site but from what CHIG found wood surely get the HEART POUNDIN!!! CONGRATS.. HH

Actually the gold coin came from a different site, one I thought I cleaned fairly well, but just goes to show a goody is hiding...the silver has come from a site that has been very productive thus far...I am sure there will be plenty more silver and hopefully a gold coin will pop out of there as well...may it be hammered gold at that! ha ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread