Colonial buckles bonanza from under the snow.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I packed my detecting equipment for the long winter ahead something absolutely crazy happened... We had a very strong winter rain (which in it self is abnormal) followed by a couple of days of mild weather. It gave the ground just enough time to thaw and gave me an opportunity to go on a hunt in the first week of January. For Quebec it's absolutely mind blowing as we rarely get the chance to detect past the early December.

I decided to explore the spot where I found some Fur Trade items a month or so ago. It's a large area but the finds are pretty rare, the big advantage it has is an almost complete absence of modern trash (other than an occasional shotgun shell). Not expecting much I chose to check some new patches of land that were previously hidden by the thick vegetation. The results were more than satisfying as I have managed to find some very cool relics.

Within an hour or so, found two shoe buckles in the same hole. One of them appears to be made of brass and the other one of some type of pewter mix. Both are from late 1700's and both have the iron mechanism still intact. A few feet away found my best preserved musket sling buckle.

1.jpg

After the restoration, all three look absolutely great. The brass shoe buckle is completely functional with the moving iron mechanism.

14.jpg 15.jpg

12.jpg 13.jpg

11.jpg

Twenty feet away, got an other type of musket sling buckle and a carved bone handle pocket knife.

4.jpg

Than a heart breaker...a partial neck stock clasp.

2.jpg 3.jpg

Continued to explore the same area and found an other patch littered with musket balls. After digging a few dozens of them got a beautiful bronze cross, rosary ring and 1813 Spread Eagle Halfpenny

7.jpg 10.jpg

5.jpg 6.jpg

9.jpg 9b.jpg

Also got a few pieces of clay pipe, cufflink, gold plated pocket watch winder and an awl.

8.jpg

Very glad with the results. Not sure if I just closed my 2019 season or opened the new one.

Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 48
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW!!!!! What a remarkable collection of finds. I love finding shoe buckles, and you, sir, came across some beauties! Congratulations.

Thanks Silvermonkey. Those aren't the most common find over here, especially in this condition, very happy with the result.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah thank you for the advice!!! I'll give it a try on my buckle and see how it comes out!

No problem. Just make sure to remove the most soil or crust before putting the Renaissance wax.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing group of relics! I love the patina on your brass finds, must be some nice soil! I'm looking forward to seeing what you dig there next.

Steve

Thanks Goldiver. The soil is great, I have never before seen anything similar on any of my sites.

DetectorTales

Mar 31, 2019
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, XP GOLDMAXX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice [emoji106] love the religious relics. So neat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread