Colonial(?) Button(?), Buckle, and ? fr historic town (Attn: Vecchio and Murphy)

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Found a new location to check out while perusing a Google map so went to check it out. Looked pretty interesting but didn't find anything major there other than a couple of detectorists who were off detecting in a circle of trees and scrub--first time I've run into fellow detectorists other than at the beach--real nice guys. Rich had to take off but the other, Bill (is that right?), showed me some other spots to check out in that area. Thanks, Bill!

Stayed in the one spot he recommended and came up with this button(?) and doohicky.

080412_LOTH_button-plus_obverse_7908.JPG

080412_LOTH_button-plus_reverse_7907.JPG

Can anyone identify either? (I'd thought I'd heard of colonial teardrop buttons but couldn't find anything on the web.)

Went back the next weekend with my kids behind the old [building] he'd also showed me and found this buckle. Found it in a spot right near where you park where I think a building had collapsed or burned--lots of iron/nails and melted lead.

080419_LOTH_buckle_oblique_7931.JPG

080419_LOTH_buckle_obverse_7929.JPG

080419_LOTH_buckle_reverse_7930.JPG

Can anyone date this?

Found it in a hole with iron and who knows what else (scrap lead?).

_Rich_

Upvote 0

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The doohicky with the teeth apears to be part of a shovel, rake, hoe type tool. The part you have is the part where the business end is attatched to the wooden handle. Those teeth would have come together tight to hold it fast to the handle.

I could be wrong but I think I have seen that before.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me the toothed doohicky thing looks like a piece of an old horse curry comb. The thing next to it appears to be an attachment they used to put on the end of a leather strap (horse hardware) to keep it from curling up so it would feed through a buckle easier.

Any way looks like a good spot to look for stuff.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread