Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a nice mental health day with a friend from Tnet. I was invited to a awesome property and we dug out a small portion of a pit. I wish I could have shown pics of the area, the house is from 18thc. and is in great shape. I love old architecture. The place has been hit before but we all know how that goes ( cherry pickers). Lots of broken glass and pottery, we saved 6-7 bottles. I think I can piece and complete 2 more. We split all the finds and made the homeowner a nice display, whats pictured below is just a portion. My favorite finds of the hunt was the complete bottles, the cool Lock, and a 18th c. Mother of Pearl 4-prong button. Ended up with 2 pewter spoon handles, harmonica reeds, 5 buttons, cufflink, lead seal, and complete buckle. I had a blast, great way to unwind from these last few weeks. Thanks for looking GL&HH
IMG_0330.JPG IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0344.JPG
The 18th. Mother of Pearl button. Camera doesn't show the quality IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

I also have 2 relics I cant identify so if anyone has any ideas please feel free. First one is this small piece with lead filled with a slit. It looks familiar but ??? Its only about 5/8'' inch long. I thought maybe the tip to a arrow, the slit would hold like a razor blade :icon_scratch:
IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0336.JPG

My other mystery item was this carved stone. It was found in the pit mixed with everything else. Its very heavy like a granite or marble. You can see some rust marks from all the iron in the pit. I would really like to know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks
IMG_0343.JPG IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG

Upvote 27
OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your on the right path with calling it a warming stone. I think its Soapstone used to warm something or someone.

Thank you How Lucky. I cant think of any other uses. Not a tool or weight. Anyone has other opinions please feel free.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea how old the padlock is? I have never seen one that fancy.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stone is perhaps a mashing stone. Tenderizing meat, smashing fruits, grains and nuts, and oh, small unruly children....

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The padlock is know as a scroll lock. It's one in a group of locks known as Story locks. In would be 1880's...1890's...right up to turn of the century. Actually a very sought after padlock. Congrats.

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The padlock is know as a scroll lock. It's one in a group of locks known as Story locks. In would be 1880's...1890's...right up to turn of the century. Actually a very sought after padlock. Congrats.

Thanks for the info Lockster99. That's really neat. After its cleaned ill put up some new pics.

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoDeep, you may have something there.

Definitely going back and going deeper. We barley put a dent in the area around the foundation. Soo much more potential. Next time I go Ill make arrangements so you can join us Smokey.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

The stone appears to be made of Steatite (a somewhat harder talc/soapstone), Try to scratch it with your fingernail, and if you can then that question is settled. It is a great material to work with if you're into carving things.

I'd also agree with the warming stone theory (easy to carve and the stone has a pretty respectable capacity for heat energy), probably used somewhat like the later 19th century buggy foot warmers like this:

e7fb9e458977a0d6872d88e6143eab5e--found-art-art-antique.jpg

I've dug a few damaged ones in old garbage dumps (circular style), and recycled them to use as carving material.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the dark colored bottle best. Is it black glass? How old? Great digs!

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

The stone appears to be made of Steatite (a somewhat harder talc/soapstone), Try to scratch it with your fingernail, and if you can then that question is settled. It is a great material to work with if you're into carving things.

I'd also agree with the warming stone theory (easy to carve and the stone has a pretty respectable capacity for heat energy), probably used somewhat like the later 19th century buggy foot warmers like this:

View attachment 1567311

I've dug a few damaged ones in old garbage dumps (circular style), and recycled them to use as carving material.

Thank you for the info Plumbata. Yes your right I can scratch it with my finger nail

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the dark colored bottle best. Is it black glass? How old? Great digs!

Thanks Silver Tree Chaser. The black bottle is my favorite and the oldest of the bunch. It dates right around mid 1800s. Civil war era beer bottle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread