Colonial Copper, Buttons and...GOLD BROOCH or WATCH FOB???!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, finally the weather broke this week and most of the snow is gone. I was originally supposed to hook up with some fellas about an hour drive from home, but some domestic issues put the kibosh on it.

I was, however to get out with my buddy Dale close to home for a few hours. He just got an Etrac and was anxious to give it a go vs. my V3.

We hit a spot that I last detected back last summer with my DFX so this was a good comparison to see how the V3 performed. Certainly no complaints on the V3!!!

My first find of the day was another toasted colonial copper, my first for 2010. Then I found some nice deep small buttons, also toasted. The V3 is very sensitive to small deep targets.

A while later I got a deep signal that seemed like iron, but occasionally bounced up into the low end of the coin range. I was thinking it would be another rusty old square nail that tend to be scattered about the site. Before I dug, I called over Dale to see what the Etrac said, and he said it was bouncing all over. "Shotgun shell", he said. I said six inches was too deep at this site for shotgun shells, so I dug a nice plug and still in the hole a bit deeper than 8 inches came the most beautiful thing a metal detecting enthusiast can imagine....Gold! The dirt just fell away from the thick solid coin-like button. At first I though it was a gold coin, but when I looked closer I saw the design. When I flipped it over I saw the inscription "Jh B, or Hr B". It must have been mounted to a piece of jewelry at one time. The corrosion on the back is from contact with the impure metals used to mount it.

Judging from the dates of my other coins found at the site I would have to date this from the 1760's when the site was first settled to about 1840, which is the date of the most modern coin found at the site.

Any help with the ID on these types of tokens/buttons is appreciated!

Happy Hunting!
Neil

Attachments

• P3060002.JPG
    P3060002.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,398
  • P3060006a.JPG
    P3060006a.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • P3060007a.JPG
    P3060007a.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,315
  • P3060007b.JPG
    P3060007b.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,354
Upvote 0
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Colonial Copper, Buttons and...GOLD LOVE TOKEN???!!!

Curious The George said:
Don't think you have a love token. You have the face of a ring. The two oval spots are where the band of the ring was soldered to the face.

What ever, it is a great find.

I don't know many people who would walk around with a token the size of a nickel on their finger, although I have seen many rings fabricated from Indian Head pennies. I guess it is a possiblity, but there is a third, smaller solder mark on the top.

And I have no need to test this ring to see it is gold. Anyone who has dug items from a former farm field knows what fertilizer does to most metals, including plated ones. What you see is what was dug from 7 inches of nasty soil. There was only a bit of a rinse to get off any sand that could possibly scratch it. What you see is exactly what I saw in the dirt pile.

Two things are for sure: It's old, and its's gold.

Thanks for all of your comments!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
Curious The George said:
Don't think you have a love token. You have the face of a ring. The two oval spots are where the band of the ring was soldered to the face.

What ever, it is a great find.

I don't know many people who would walk around with a token the size of a nickel on their finger, although I have seen many rings fabricated from Indian Head pennies. I guess it is a possiblity, but there is a third, smaller solder mark on the top.

And I have no need to test this ring to see it is gold. Anyone who has dug items from a former farm field knows what fertilizer does to most metals, including plated ones. What you see is what was dug from 7 inches of nasty soil. There was only a bit of a rinse to get off any sand that could possibly scratch it. What you see is exactly what I saw in the dirt pile.

Two things are for sure: It's old, and its's gold.

Thanks for all of your comments!

Plus the design doesn't strike me as a finger ring type. I thought napkin ring but seems a little small, and not much room judging by the back.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

way to go on that keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...

Very nice find :thumbsup:

I suspect this piece was a broach (pin across the center back where two of the solder marks are) and a loop at the top (where the third solder mark is). It appears that the bits soldered to it may well have been iron that rotted away (looks like a bit if rust around that area).

My mom collects Victorian jewelery and has many pieces that are of this design, that way the ladies could either pin them to their shirt as a broach, or wear them on a chain as a pendant.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! At any rate, congrats on the Victorian gold :headbang:

HH,
Brian

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o :o :o alrighty now ,somebody found some gold :icon_thumleft: Well done 8) N WJ

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awsome Thanks bill, colonial gold :wav:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

UPDATE: I had the back upside down. The initial are "L.H".

It should also be noted that the piece is hollow. I originally thought is was solid.

Check out the detail that went into this piece!

Attachments

• P3070004.JPG
    P3070004.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 795
  • P3060006.JPG
    P3060006.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 810

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is SO pretty! :o And you're right. The details on that gold piece are incredible! 8) They just don't make things any more like they did back when.

Congrats on ALL those finds!! Nana :wink:

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whatever she is...she's old. I think it's a part of old jewelry. Anyways fantastic find and may there be many more! :thumbsup:

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful and interesting. Hollow you say. Wonder if there is a way to put a locket of someone's hair inside. Being hollow it had to be made of at least two pieces.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Curious The George said:
Beautiful and interesting. Hollow you say. Wonder if there is a way to put a locket of someone's hair inside. Being hollow it had to be made of at least two pieces.

George,
After reading your post I took my jewelers loupe and examined the piece. There is a barely visible seam which attached the back. If there was a lock of hair it would be sealed in forever.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very pretty, a welcomed piece in any display. :icon_thumright:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

pretty nice neil!! im sure your aware love tokens were popular 1870-1890 so i dont think its a love token(i dont think you do neither) its older buddy. willy

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Great find.
Dman

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Neil Awesome find! Looks like theres a bunch of that old gold here in NJ! :hello2:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

SouthJerseyJim said:
Neil Awesome find! Looks like theres a bunch of that old gold here in NJ! :hello2:

After reading your post last week about the gold seal, I was determined to find some old gold!

Thanks for the inspiration!

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's not plated, it's not solid, it's sort of like Holloware, it has a material inside.

But it does look very old. Not to take anything away from the find though. A few years ago I found a piece of silver, that was heavy, I was like wow.....till I found out it was hollow. It was already quite damaged, so I dissected it, the silver left over was on the outside was quiet light afterward. It looks sort of like the same construction.....nice find even if hollow!!!

HH

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

My humble opinion is that Cal_Cobra is right and this pretty piece is a part of Victorian broach. I once found a gold bar broach that is hollow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread