Sparkster

Greenie
Feb 22, 2018
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting a buddy's farm looking for a gold ring that he lost while mowing the lawn.
Didn't find the ring, but I found what I believe to be a King George II. (1729 to 1754)
Anybody have a better guess?

IMG_20190812_173451.jpgIMG_20190812_173753.jpg

Upvote 29
Yes you have a King George II. The bust is facing left and you can just make out II REX to the right of the head.

As you say a Geo II, not sure why it looks trimmed all the way around the edge. Looks wrong for a Farthing but about right for a clipped halfpenny, although never seen that before.

I think it looks "trimmed" around the edges because when I found it, I showed it to my friend, who is not a detectorist.
To my horror, he promptly rubbed it aggressively between his dry fingers to clean it off for me.
I guess the edges were a bit fragile after being in the ground for a couple hundred years!

Nice old copper, congrats! :occasion14:

I think it looks "trimmed" around the edges because when I found it, I showed it to my friend, who is not a detectorist.
To my horror, he promptly rubbed it aggressively between his dry fingers to clean it off for me.
I guess the edges were a bit fragile after being in the ground for a couple hundred years!
If that is the case you either have VERY harsh soil conditions, or its a contemporary forgery which had a less quality of metal. This would make it pretty scarce though as Geo II forgeries are mostly cast lead-alloy.

Hi, nice find. Congrats:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back