Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shanegalang and I have had a bit of a slump recently. We've found some sites that haven't produced what we'd hoped, and in general it's been hard to make time to dig. That slump ended today. The video below is a "must see," since it shows today's fantastic finds as they're pulled from the dirt:

But, if your connection speed is too slow for a Hi Def video, here are some photos. The Half Dime is actually a scarce date. 1840-O with drapery, close to AU details and still some mint luster on the coin! My heart was pumping fast when I saw that big 1700s silver roll out of the hole, and Shane and I did some serious high-fives over the engraved Masonic piece (that's the find of the hunt, IMO). Heck, even the militia button was a style that I had never found before. All in all a fantastic day, and great finds kept trickling in, which as you know is very rare. So often it's one good find and done. Haha. At any rate, here are the photos.

The 1840 Half Dime was on edge (top of the clod is toward the left (the dry part):

HPIM3916.JPG

HPIM3920.JPG

BIG 1700s Silver!! My last 2Reales was back in 1995!

HPIM3927.JPG

HPIM3934.JPG

A Beautiful two-piece button that Shane dug:

IMG_0259.JPG

Here's the 1840-O Half Dime. Couple scratches might bring it down in grade some, but hopefully not more than to XF.

1840-O.jpg

The militia button is a GI56. Backmark is "Lewis & Tomes."

militia button.jpg

I dug a nice gilded civilian button:

button.jpg

button1.jpg

Some of my finds from the hunt:

HPIM3952.JPG

And I saved the best for last. We think this might be Masonic, or I.O.O.F. If anyone can identify the markings or letters, please let us know. I have a strong hunch this is a late 1700s find. It was made from a Spanish Half Real.

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will, great post like usual and love Shanes pin and your 2 Reale, the Half Dime is iceing on the cake for the hunt.

It seems like I have seen the handshake icon with regard to Masonic memorabilia before, but as IP says below it could be simply a friendship token. The AMI on the back looks to be a counterstamp that was cut out, and I'm wondering if there is a record of that counterstamp (which would ID the item as certainly being made from a coin, and perhaps give an idea of time frame). My hunch is late 1700s or early 1800s. Didn't you dig something with a handshake on it before, Don?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that engraved piece is super cool. all the finds are sweet. congrats!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recoveries. Congrats.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the way Will, I look forward to seeing your article on reverse hunting in the issue of AD magazine currently in the mail to subsribers. HH, Q.

Attachments

• AD.jpg
    AD.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 107

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTSTANDING hunt! :icon_thumright: Way to go!!! I particularly like the 'love token' (called it that for a lack of a better description.) I did some searching last night to see if I could find any information about it, but it was a 'no cigar.' The silver & gilt are sweet too! :) Breezie

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old buttons, and coins, and jewelry oh my! Most excellent hunt Guys!!! Not sure which find I like the best? I'm dying to dig a 1700's coin some day.
I think what turned your slump around was your gal Digger Girl. :tongue3:
Thanks for the video Will. I love seeing the freshly dug surprise relics on film.
Congrats to the Gumbo Gang.
-DUHg-

Dug,

You haven't recovered a 1700s coin yet? That is a big surprise to me. It's out there for ya, my friend. I actually recovered some 1700s silvers before I got my first 1700s copper (a Draped LC). I've never dug a KG copper yet, strangely enough. It's still on the list. In general, coins from that era are harder to find, because the sites that hold them are typically long gone and forgotten. But even in all these years of hunting precisely those types of sites, I only have 1 or arguably 2 1700s coppers. BUT--I know there's coins of that era to find in NC, and even in Indiana and Kentucky. Just takes persistence.

Cheers,

Buck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats left to be said ..just awesome relics

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys, I think the silver Masonic piece is from the International Order of Odd Fellows, I found a brass piece like it a few months ago.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video of you and Shangalang. The field was looking good for deep signals but it looks like they were all close to the top. Lots of silver I know the masons had shook hands a lot in symbology and of course we shook the natives hand all the time as well. Neat history to be learned in that one piece. Ya'll goona have a mighty fine year you are already forgetting hunts so dey they will just get better and better hahaha :tongue3:
Seriously nice job and video
HH

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every cloud has a silver lining. Congrats on your O. The engraved piece is outstanding...

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Fantastic finds and a super detecting day. Loved the video! Great seeing that old silver come out of the ground.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds, that half dime is awesome!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. Congratulations and keep swinging. That 1840 o reminds me of a coin a dear friend once found, 1843 o dime. He put a small scratch on it while getting it out of the ground. Yours looks really great.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dam, i love the individualized pieces. great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread