Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this over the weekend on a site of an old farmhouse. Thought it was modern but today I cleaned it and saw the hallmarks on the bottom. There are three markings: a crowned lion's head, a lion, and a "C". I think this might be over 200-year old English sterling silver. :D Maybe it's from the age of pirates! :skullflag::blackbeard::laughing7:

Edit: Research indicates that this is indeed an early colonial artifact. It was made in London in 1738 and was probably exported to the 13 colonies shortly thereafter. Despite my initial assumptions of it being a salt shaker I'm now convinced it is a "pepper pot". This is the oldest and most unique artifact I have found to date. Thanks to all who helped in identifying and dating this rare and interesting piece. Last find of 2014. Happy New Year! :D

DSC08498.JPG

DSC08499.JPG

DSC08500.JPG
Here is the bottom showing the very old looking hallmarks:
DSC08494.JPG
lion mark2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 71

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find. congrats! it's in beautiful condition

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations of your banner find. A quite remarkable piece of American history.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug it from about 5-6 inches down in a lightly wooded area. I had been getting nothing but iron signals and modern garbage for the better part of an hour until I dug the shaker. Like all my signals I dug a big dirt plug. When I flipped it out of the hole the shaker was embedded in the bottom of the plug. I popped the shaker out of the dirt and brushed it off a bit. I didn't think it was old, all I knew was it looked kind of cool and might be silver so I just tossed it in my pocket. I later found a worn out nickle from the 1950's and some modern penny which I actually thought was the high point of the hunt.

A couple days later I finally got to washing the compacted dirt out of the nooks and crannies of the shaker and that's when I saw the ancient looking hallmarks. I still didn't know what it was, but I knew through experience that a lion stamp means "sterling" and it was probably really old. So I posted it to T-net just to find out if it was as old as I thought - and with the help of a few of these guys and gals here I found out it was nearly 100 years OLDER than what I had hoped. To think George Washington was just 6 years old when this thing was made just blew my mind. And then everyone started saying this was banner worthy - and that blew my mind even more. Then just before I left for my new years party I see the shaker on the banner - just blew my mind even more. Who would have thunk this tiny piece of silver could have brought so much attention? I am truly honored! :D

Now holding this museum quality piece of British/American history in my hands I feel even more connected with the past. I just picture this little pepper pot, all shiny long ago, on the table of a beautiful plantation house - maybe in the hand of Samuel Addams or Paul Revere as they discussed their plans to overthrow British rule and bring independence to the colonies. Or maybe this belonged to a Loyalist family who's sons joined the British army to fight the Patriots! If only artifacts could talk! I'm so fascinated by this thing :D

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition and age of being in the ground blows me away. Congratulations! I learned much on this post!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug it from about 5-6 inches down in a lightly wooded area. I had been getting nothing but iron signals and modern garbage for the better part of an hour until I dug the shaker. Like all my signals I dug a big dirt plug. When I flipped it out of the hole the shaker was embedded in the bottom of the plug. I popped the shaker out of the dirt and brushed it off a bit. I didn't think it was old, all I knew was it looked kind of cool and might be silver so I just tossed it in my pocket. I later found a worn out nickle from the 1950's and some modern penny which I actually thought was the high point of the hunt.

A couple days later I finally got to washing the compacted dirt out of the nooks and crannies of the shaker and that's when I saw the ancient looking hallmarks. I still didn't know what it was, but I knew through experience that a lion stamp means "sterling" and it was probably really old. So I posted it to T-net just to find out if it was as old as I thought - and with the help of a few of these guys and gals here I found out it was nearly 100 years OLDER than what I had hoped. To think George Washington was just 6 years old when this thing was made just blew my mind. And then everyone started saying this was banner worthy - and that blew my mind even more. Then just before I left for my new years party I see the shaker on the banner - just blew my mind even more. Who would have thunk this tiny piece of silver could have brought so much attention? I am truly honored! :D

Now holding this museum quality piece of British/American history in my hands I feel even more connected with the past. I just picture this little pepper pot, all shiny long ago, on the table of a beautiful plantation house - maybe in the hand of Samuel Addams or Paul Revere as they discussed their plans to overthrow British rule and bring independence to the colonies. Or maybe this belonged to a Loyalist family who's sons joined the British army to fight the Patriots! If only artifacts could talk! I'm so fascinated by this thing :D

Very well said.

Its very hard with an object like this to be sure 'when' it was lost. The facts are it was made in London in 1738 & must have been a very expensive piece that took some time to travel to your area. The issue is when did it travel & when did it get lost? We will never know because this is exactly the type of heirloom that stays in families for many years/generations. An item like this could have been lost hundreds of years after manufacture because it wasn't from a sealed context, still it just adds to the mystery.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It weighs 65.6 grams. There isn't anything in it besides a few tiny pieces of dirt that rattle around when I shake it. The cap is stuck on so I haven't been able to thoroughly clean the inside, but for all we know those tiny things rattling around might be 250 year old peppercorn remains. Who knows, I'm not planning to open it any time soon since doing so might damage it. :D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It weighs 65.6 grams. There isn't anything in it besides a few tiny pieces of dirt that rattle around when I shake it. The cap is stuck on so I haven't been able to thoroughly clean the inside, but for all we know those tiny things rattling around might be 250 year old peppercorn remains. Who knows, I'm not planning to open it any time soon since doing so might damage it. :D

Yes be careful & please don't shine it up. lol

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned that a few years ago when I cleaned a dirty old Morgan dollar to "it's shiny original form", oh the shame I feel now every time I see it. LOL :laughing7: Sometimes we learn the hard way.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a truly beautiful Colonial artifact and Banner find! It caught my eye even with the little picture on top with all of the other Banner finds. I have enjoyed reading all of the posts on this thread. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who had a shaker with over two 8 reales worth of silver would definitely have had some status. Quite a find.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well over two troy ounces of sterling silver - that little honey is very well built indeed ! Yeah you really get it too - the whole
concept of - if this artifact could talk -the stories over supper that it witnessed over a couple of centuries !!! Choice Find !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello UnderMiner,

What a beautiful historical piece! Congratulations on the find.

Regards,

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
very nice, saw it to late, to vote it for banner, since we are romanticizing the 5 Ws
to me the holes have a very utilitarian look for heavy commercial use, so i looked
into who would use a pepper pot, other than a well to do fancy table setting.
came up with coffee houses,and tavern/inns, 1st link to a book:
All About Coffee By William Harrison Ukers
it mentions a silver pepper pot at the Second London Coffee House opened in 1754
philadelphia, 2nd link is about coffee houses in new york city, scroll down to
Coffee Houses in 18C New York

All About Coffee By William Harrison Ukers
All About Coffee - William Harrison Ukers - Google Books

18C American Women: Women, Coffee Houses, & the American Revolution

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew right away it was pre 18th century !! :thumbsup:

Awesome find !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet it overheard a few conversations about "those rebel scum" or those "Loyalist B@stards" :laughing7:

Last edited:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Stunning find. I can't stop looking at the hallmarks and I'm blown away by the condition that it's in. Congratulations. Wonder if there's any 277 year old pepper inside...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread