Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wondering if there are any hardcore Deus swinging colonial hunters out there that upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0 and what they think of the new version vs the old? I haven't done it yet. I'm so happy with my Deus. I would really get bummed out if I lost my set up. I understand the 3.2 is in there under a separate program but still. My wifes Deus is different from mine. Both 3.2 but I can tell the difference even with identical settings. Especially on small pistol balls and other small lead.

We don't hunt modern sites like schools and churches. Strictly fields and occasionally woods. Usually little modern trash and therefore we dig EVERYTHING inc bigger iron as we slowly clean out a site to try and get ever deeper.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gary, I've been running v4 since the day it released. I haven't been out as much as I'd like this year, but I've run it about a dozen hunts at beat up sites. I like it. I haven't noticed it "finding" more or less stuff with v4. I do love the navigation speed now. It instantly toggles through programs. I also have a mi-6 that you need v4 for. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but the tethered pinpointer audio is fantastic. I'm also getting the HF elliptical coil (next week) that I'm super pumped to use at some beat up Colonial sites in the thick iron. Since I got the pinpointer and planned on getting a HF coil, I embraced v4 and ran with it.

Brad

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful with the elliptical coil thinking your going to be pulling everything from the iron. Your going to loose a lot of depth with that coil is it isn't designed for coins or relic shooting. Mainly for small gold hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful with the elliptical coil thinking your going to be pulling everything from the iron. Your going to loose a lot of depth with that coil is it isn't designed for coins or relic shooting. Mainly for small gold hunting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's primary use will be for trash pit digging at Colonial sites, in conjunction with my magnet. The smaller footprint of the elliptical will speed up my progress. I dig a lot of pewters at Colonial sites and the high frequencies will hit those much better. I also have some Colonial sites where the iron is so thick I'll spend hours in it with the 9" and squeak out targets only a couple inches deep. That'll be easier with the elliptical and the smaller footprint. With the shear amount of iron where I plan on using it, anything deeper than a few inches will be masked and no coil on Earth could get to those targets.... Only removing all the dirt manually and extracting the iron will help in those cases. So my plans with the elliptical are very specific and not as a general coil. Kinda like the 5" coil on my T2.... I don't use it much, but when I need it, it's fantastic and has gotten me into new pit sections in hard hit areas.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Gary, I've been running v4 since the day it released. I haven't been out as much as I'd like this year, but I've run it about a dozen hunts at beat up sites. I like it. I haven't noticed it "finding" more or less stuff with v4. I do love the navigation speed now. It instantly toggles through programs. I also have a mi-6 that you need v4 for. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but the tethered pinpointer audio is fantastic. I'm also getting the HF elliptical coil (next week) that I'm super pumped to use at some beat up Colonial sites in the thick iron. Since I got the pinpointer and planned on getting a HF coil, I embraced v4 and ran with it.

Brad

Thanks Brad. I have a spare Deus that I might upgrade and see what its like. I never have a need to change programs. I just tweak my main customized starter as needed. Only have a few spots where the Deus doesn't seem to penetrate the soil. These sites have fine, silty, almost a clay-like consistency. Don't think the Deus goes more than 8" in that stuff, at best. I can regularly get 12+ inches on the sandy soil sites which most are thankfully.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brad. I have a spare Deus that I might upgrade and see what its like. I never have a need to change programs. I just tweak my main customized starter as needed. Only have a few spots where the Deus doesn't seem to penetrate the soil. These sites have fine, silty, almost a clay-like consistency. Don't think the Deus goes more than 8" in that stuff, at best. I can regularly get 12+ inches on the sandy soil sites which most are thankfully.

The awesome thing about the upgrade is that you can roll it back to v3.2 anytime you want. The only pain is when you upgrade or downgrade a Deus you have to re-enter your custom programs. But that takes a few min for me and is a minor annoyance.

If you have coil serials shared on both your machines, be sure to get the coils you don't want to upgrade out of range when you upgrade the one Deus. When it upgrades, it loops through the registered coils on the remote and will activate and upgrade each to v4. Any coils upgraded to v4 will not work on a v3.2 remote... Unless you do a 3.2 update and put the coils back to 3.2.

Might as well upgrade one and see how you like it. If you don't plan on getting the mi6 or a new HF coil, and you don't like v4.... Then just roll back to v3.2 and stick with it.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used V3.2 only briefly, but notice no large difference. And I do hunt old-ish homesites on the occasion. They both work fine.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like 4 and I am a relic guy .dont worry you will love it.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to 4 and didn't like it and went back to 3.2 , but got the elliptical coming this week so gonna try it again.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the responses guys. Brad, that last comment about the coils keeps me out of the upgrade for now. I also watched a few videos on youtube and the users were not happy after they upgraded and I watch all of calabash's vids. He and I use almost identical set ups and after seeing his comment well, I think i'll sit it out a bit longer. Looks like I wimped out. lol. But really, I appreciate the responses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread