Colonial Finds from this past weekend and a early piece of Silver Jewlry????

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a bit out of the loop the past couple of weeks –sadly that has affected my ability to get out and dig!

On 2/8/13 the College for which I work as an administratorcelebrated its’ 320[SUP]th[/SUP] Birthday! The College of William & Mary is a treasured artifact in her ownright – and something that rightly so deserves much celebration. With board meetings, galas, and events mytime has been sparse.

I celebrated a birthday of my own on Sunday, and while Icould not break away to dig all day as I typically do, I was able to get outand join Bill at the site we have been working. Due to cropping we no longer have access to the heart of the site, but didmanage to do some exploring with some success. We also managed to get a couple of hours in at a new site (where Billdug his silvers at yesterday, I really need to retire so I can get out with him– though just turning 31 this week that seems a long ways away). This site is particularly early, andproduced some large caliber round balls and much earlier buttons.

It also produced this interesting silver item. Sadly it is broken but am thinking it was somesort of an early piece of jewelry, any ideas?

Also pictured is an 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century small caulkingiron/chisel that came from the bottom of the pit Bill and I dug a couple ofweeks back.

My work life should slowly be beginning to return to some normalcy– and hopefully my digging time as well!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SCWM21013.jpg
    SCWM21013.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 197
  • SC21013a.jpg
    SC21013a.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 183
  • SC21013b.jpg
    SC21013b.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 188
  • SC21013c.jpg
    SC21013c.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 8

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy belated birthday! With many happier returns.

HH!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
I don't know what that piece is but I like it. I also like the rest of your finds. You are on an old place for sure! Tennessee digger

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Your silver piece looks like the ear scoop end of a 17th century silver bodkin needle.

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Finds!!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Recovery's and happy birthday .

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Dan that you could not come up with that memorable find on your birthday, and that your streak for doing that had to come to an end. But you were definitely on the right spot to make that special find. Just wasn't your day, or mine either for that matter. But like we both know - those "hunted out" sites always seem to have a rebirth and start producing again when least expected, sometimes better than they did initially. Looks like we might be onto one of those now.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Dan that you could not come up with that memorable find on your birthday, and that your streak for doing that had to come to an end. But you were definitely on the right spot to make that special find. Just wasn't your day, or mine either for that matter. But like we both know - those "hunted out" sites always seem to have a rebirth and start producing again when least expected, sometimes better than they did initially. Looks like we might be onto one of those now.

Hey man, i can't raise my hands over my head every trip - and honestly since Jan 2012, it has felt as if I have had the joy to do that all too often. I am still on cloud nine with the past year and a half of digging. It is always great just being out, and as you could tell I was excited to be on that enormous open ridge at the end of the day. Always glad to just get out and do some digging with you. See you this weekend.

Dan

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Dan and happy birthday

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy birthday ! nice finds .:thumbsup:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds congrats!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You are 100% correct, just looked it up and found one that looks almost identical...thanks man!

Wow Dan - that is way cool! It's amazing some of the unique early finds we've made this year. It's always fun to dig something you've never seen before. Very nice!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff as usual, Dan. You gotta love the colonial stuff.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys find sum AWESOME history!!! CONGRATS.. HH

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it is part of a snuff spoon. They were usually hung from a necklace. HH OldSean

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff. Yeah, we're in a slump right now too. Nothing spectacular, just interesting and typical. Great on the ear scoop! I found something small and silver last hunt too, not sure what it is, but it is later because it is actually stamped "STERLING" lol.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread