Colonial flat button found at a 1980s baseball field?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial flat button found at a 1980's baseball field?

This sure looks like a colonial flat button to me. I'm no expert, but it's paper thin, brass (or maybe copper), has a broken off shank on the back and is very large. I found it six inches down at a baseball field that was built in the early 1980's. How is this possible?

I also found a 1920 wheat cent there a couple of weeks ago. That's not too unusual, but finding a colonial button there seems odd, to say the least.

What's your take on it? Is this really a 220 year old button or is it something else?

DSC02388.JPG DSC02390.JPG DSC02391.JPG

Upvote 0

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could give an expert opinion, but since I have yet to find my first one, I will give you my novice opinion, lol. I checked your profile and since you are in RI, I see no reason why it might not be, even if found in a 1980's ball field. Since it was found at a reasonably shallow depth, it could have been in any fill dirt brought onto the site, or earth movers could have even scraped dirt from atop the find. Perhaps your site was a homestead or even a camp during the period. I hope the experts soon find this post and give you some credible opinions. I'd like to see how a novice did, lol. Merry Christmas to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately A Colonial Flat Button! Neat To Think What Might Have Been There At One Time. Probably A Colonial Homestead! Hit That Place Hard.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be my guess, Just as old coins are found at new homes, I'd think that especially
in one of the original 13 colonies that you can find colonial artifacts just about any where
that the dirt has been moved around. jmho

filmiracle

Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a colonial "dandy" button from the late 1700s. Of course you can find them at a baseball field built in the '80s. Everything was something before it was something! Before the ballfield, could have been just a wooded area, before that, an old farm.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! I thought it might be one, but I've never found anything very old there. Except for the 1920 wheat cent, every coin has been from the 1940's and up.

I may have found it today because the ground at this field is completely saturated right now. That always helps when you're looking for deeper coins or relics. I will have to go over that area with a fine tooth comb now. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living anywhere in New England you have the possibility of digging a colonial piece almost anywhere. As said previously it may have been moved there or someone could have been walking there 200+ years ago and lost it. Possibly an old homesite was there. That's the beauty of finding something like that, you just never know how it could have ended up there but it's always fun to find them. Better yet it can always be an indicator that more and perhaps better colonial finds are hidden close by. Happy Holidays

carcusrex

Jan 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could give an expert opinion, but since I have yet to find my first one, I will give you my novice opinion, lol. I checked your profile and since you are in RI, I see no reason why it might not be, even if found in a 1980's ball field. Since it was found at a reasonably shallow depth, it could have been in any fill dirt brought onto the site, or earth movers could have even scraped dirt from atop the find. Perhaps your site was a homestead or even a camp during the period. I hope the experts soon find this post and give you some credible opinions. I'd like to see how a novice did, lol. Merry Christmas to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What he said and great find. Do some history research and keep digging.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread