Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to the site where I I've been digging the Spanish Silver, coppers and buttons for what may be my last hunt of 2012. I dug a few buttons right away but then it got real quiet with only some deep beaver tail pulltabs. Some of these were more than 10 inches deep so I couldn't ignore them. Luckily I didn't because this sounded just like one! It bounced from iron to 52 on the T2.

The dates of my coins from the spot range from an undated KGI to an 1806 Draped Bust Half Cent with a few in between, so I would guess this is circa 1800 or earlier. The deep tone makes it appear to be a high karat, but that may just be because of its age.

There are no hallmarks and there is no indication that something was mounted in the middle either.

I guess I should see if any of the buttons I dug are worth posting, so Happy Hunting!

008.JPG

Upvote 11

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gokd is cool where ever or whenever you find it....Congrats............................HH

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Neil!! That thing is pretty big so I imagine its rather heavy. Usually the higher the karat the lower the conductivity, and therefore the lower it would read on your machine. But due to its sheer size that would tend to make it come in higher. Maybe you can find one on the web somewhere to help you date the piece a little closer. Congrats on a super find ..... Bill

The picture makes it appear larger, as do my small hands. The ruler is metric so it is approx 35 mm long. Like I said, this was down in the low foil range on the T2. It also has a deep patina that looks like high Karat but I've dug 10K that looks as deep. I may take it to a client who can tell me for sure. At less than 2 grams it isn't worth much so I wouldn't consider selling it anyway.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Neil, awesome!

Looks like it would read similarly to a buckle but I guess the gold+depth threw it off closer to nickel.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, that is freakin sweet man! Way to go!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure find some cool stuff, like this one. And the second piece of gold from one site ? you said ?

and about a dozen watch winders from the same site, the guy must have been a watch repair guy. Because this obviously didn't come from a cheap watch.

This was a good site for you, and finding good sites is the hardest / best skill to master.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure find some cool stuff, like this one. And the second piece of gold from one site ? you said ?

and about a dozen watch winders from the same site, the guy must have been a watch repair guy. Because this obviously didn't come from a cheap watch.

This was a good site for you, and finding good sites is the hardest / best skill to master.

Rick, it's an odd site and I think there was some kind of commerce held or more likely a transportation hub of some type. I am nearing 1000 buttons and some other silver jewelry. One of my theories is that it was a route used for the Underground Railroad.

The first piece was a broach found 2 1/2 years back in a different section of the site. I think this one is more likely 1850's.

P3060006a.JPG

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find Neil. It is so unusual to find early gold like that, it must have been a wealthy man that lost it. I found a watch winder about 6 years ago that had an oval glass window in it. Yours may have had something like that in the center.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one KILLER piece! You'd think it wouldn't have been really high Karat due to the fact that it still had to be functional (i.e. turn the mechanism to wind the watch rather than bend out of shape and break). Fantastic recovery there, my friend. Absolutely fantastic.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Neil! Quite a nice collection of colonial gold you have goin' on there. Happy Holidays........Todd

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that great piece of gold from Colonial America! I personally believe it is high Karat too, as it has that rich color like the posey ring my digging partner found.

Congrats again on a mighty fine find!!
IM

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on that great piece of gold from Colonial America! I personally believe it is high Karat too, as it has that rich color like the posey ring my digging partner found.

Congrats again on a mighty fine find!!
IM

I had it tested by a client of mine in the gold buying business. They can only test using acid, but after he came down (that was a joke) he was able to tell me it was higher than 14K and lower than 18K... most likely 16K or 17K, but leaning toward 16K. That only confirms what I already knew; that it's old. Broach is 14K but something non-ferrous is weighted inside.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had it tested by a client of mine in the gold buying business. They can only test using acid, but after he came down (that was a joke) he was able to tell me it was higher than 14K and lower than 18K... most likely 16K or 17K, but leaning toward 16K. That only confirms what I already knew; that it's old. Broach is 14K but something non-ferrous is weighted inside.

its old but just post-colonial

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Gold find ! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread