Colonial goodies at a colonial tag sale!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This tag sale/fund raiser was at a trio of colonial homes which is a museum where people donate items from town. What a sale it was!! Some of the prices were a bit higher than most tag sales but it's for a good cause and it's one of our favorite places. They have people who know silver and gold so those were separated accordingly and priced higher. But there were some treasures sprinkled throughout and my wife and I found a few. Here is a list of our plundered wares!!

**Vintage brass kettle- $5.00.
**Antique Victorian brass tea "toddy" kettle circa 1880 -$ 6.00.
**Antique country box with leather handle- $3.00.
**WW2 40mm shell casing trench art candlestick- $5.00.
**Brass page holder -$2.00 ( nothing special with this but I liked it for my book collection.)
**Sterling spoon from Sweden circa 1921 -$6.00.
**Coin silver spoon from Miles Gorham, New Haven Ct. Circa 1790-1840. -$ 5.00.
**Port wine sterling decanter label from Tiffany & Co. - $15.00. According to the mark type (D), it's circa 1873 - 1891. And I love port wine!!
** Antique mother of pearl caviar spoon from 1800's - 10.00.
** and last but not least my favorite! An 18th century Chippendale tiger maple mirror - $40.00. Circa probably 1760's - 1780's. Not original glass but I'm fine with that. I had to have this as soon as I picked it up!! My wife also picked up some nice vintage linens for her collection and use for about $18.00. We were pretty happy with our purchases.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727209.894656.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727233.039483.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727293.870390.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727308.695263.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727327.938157.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727536.157300.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727547.914219.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459727565.989566.jpg

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know that mirror is that old? That's great

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...those are amazing finds! Any unusual gold items at the sale?

There was but it wasn't very old and it was priced pretty high. Almost antique shop high. I didn't see anyone buying any and I'm sure there were dealers there. It was nice stuff though but way out of my lab tech salary league! A lot of nice Sterling too.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know that mirror is that old? That's great

1- the design which was very popular in that period. 2- the finish and type of wood " " " "
3- the construction in the back. Very unfinished rear panels with saw marks. They wasted no time finishing the backs of furniture.
4- The use of glue blocks that are popular from the period.

I had several people comment on it while I was carrying it around saying that it screams old and from the period. There were several pieces of nice antique furniture. They only do this sale/fund raiser every other year! We will go back!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your "brass kettle" might be a "copper kettle" IMO.
Nice picks.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1- the design which was very popular in that period. 2- the finish and type of wood " " " "
3- the construction in the back. Very unfinished rear panels with saw marks. They wasted no time finishing the backs of furniture.
4- The use of glue blocks that are popular from the period.

I had several people comment on it while I was carrying it around saying that it screams old and from the period. There were several pieces of nice antique furniture. They only do this sale/fund raiser every other year! We will go back!!
Good luck on that one. I just don't see it.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on that one. I just don't see it.

In my own opinion I think it's more closer to 1780's to 1790's. The photos don't really do it justice. If you see it up close then it reveals its details. Again, the glass and cardboard behind it are not original. Just the frame. Even with the age, it's not worth a ton more. And it's not a large piece either. They made many of them too so they're not rare. Just old!!

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your "brass kettle" might be a "copper kettle" IMO.
Nice picks.

I thought so too. But up under the rolled top edge is much more brassy in color. It may be a thin copper coating too. I haven't spent much time checking this piece out more closely. But the price was good and it's in good shape. It'll make a great planter at the very least.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. Most of it is older than the town I live in.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my own opinion I think it's more closer to 1780's to 1790's. The photos don't really do it justice. If you see it up close then it reveals its details. Again, the glass and cardboard behind it are not original. Just the frame. Even with the age, it's not worth a ton more. And it's not a large piece either. They made many of them too so they're not rare. Just old!!

I love the mirror and agree on the fact that many of them were made. On vacation a few years ago, in Orleans, Mass., i was given permission to walk through a old house and just see what was in the basement/attic. After a bit of looking, i found a mirror like yours with broken wood but the original glass was intact. The homeowner, (a distant cousin to my girlfriend) said i could keep it. Its all repaired now and looks great on my wall.

The house she lives in is next to my girlfriends parents parcel/cottage and i love visiting her house. All the exposed beams are hand hewn and i think it was built in the early 1800s. Its full of all of her family antiques that have been passed down for generations. Rooms are full of Chippendale dressers and desks, a 8 chair Hepplewhite dining set in near perfect condition, oil painted portraits on large canvases, mini oval framed portraits dated to the 1790s, old rifles hung on walls, a killer "cod" weather vane on the roof and tons more. Her house is heaven to an antique lover such as myself.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the mirror and agree on the fact that many of them were made. On vacation a few years ago, in Orleans, Mass., i was given permission to walk through a old house and just see what was in the basement/attic. After a bit of looking, i found a mirror like yours with broken wood but the original glass was intact. The homeowner, (a distant cousin to my girlfriend) said i could keep it. Its all repaired now and looks great on my wall.

The house she lives in is next to my girlfriends parents parcel/cottage and i love visiting her house. All the exposed beams are hand hewn and i think it was built in the early 1800s. Its full of all of her family antiques that have been passed down for generations. Rooms are full of Chippendale dressers and desks, a 8 chair Hepplewhite dining set in near perfect condition, oil painted portraits on large canvases, mini oval framed portraits dated to the 1790s, old rifles hung on walls, a killer "cod" weather vane on the roof and tons more. Her house is heaven to an antique lover such as myself.

I love places like that!! Some of the homes here in New England are like walking into a museum! If only some of those pieces could talk!! I also realized that the framers paper someone put on the back of my mirror makes it look like a piece from the early 1900's but that was added much later. I think the glass and original back panel broke some time ago and that has all been altered since. Regardless though I have a nice spot for it on my wall.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought so too. But up under the rolled top edge is much more brassy in color. It may be a thin copper coating too. I haven't spent much time checking this piece out more closely. But the price was good and it's in good shape. It'll make a great planter at the very least.

Nah... don't use it as a planter... stick on a shelf and let the patina grow.
Will be worth some bucks in a few years...
Market on primitives like those is currently down but should rebound again...
Thing about thse items are believe it or not... they get scrapped...
Which only will drive the price one day s well.

Eevrytime I drop an antique... which does not happen often,,,
But more so when I see or hear someone else breaking an antique... my response is always the same...

That's what makes it rare. :P

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah... don't use it as a planter... stick on a shelf and let the patina grow.
Will be worth some bucks in a few years...
Market on primitives like those is currently down but should rebound again...
Thing about thse items are believe it or not... they get scrapped...
Which only will drive the price one day s well.

Eevrytime I drop an antique... which does not happen often,,,
But more so when I see or hear someone else breaking an antique... my response is always the same...

That's what makes it rare. :P

Good point! I've often thought of the same thing at times with antiques and especially sterling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions