Colonial Hillsboro NC home yields 18th century relics!!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Colonial Hillsborough, NC home yields 18th century relics!!

Hey guys!

Let me begin by saying please excuse the TYPO in the title; should be "Hillsborough" not "Hillsboro".

I had a KILLER day today. My friend Evan and I stumbled upon a GREAT site while attempting to locate a colonial era schoolhouse. We believe we located the site today! We drove out to the field of question, which is well over 20 acres, and started digging. Evan began finding buckle fragments, then complete buckles, and then he dug a flat button. At that point, I had found nothing and was starting to get discouraged. A few minutes passed by and I found a spot with lots of iron. I was digging these OLD hand made nails, that had very little rust. That was when I dug my first flat button(actually half a flat button :laughing7:). After the first, they just seemed to flow steadily for a few hours until dark. At the end of the hunt, I had dug ten flat buttons, including 3 made of "TOMBAC" and one silverplated one, which was a first for me. I had dug 4 EARLY buckles, and one of which I have definitely seen online before(the roundish one with the two spurs). Ten flat buttons is a record number for me in one hunt. I am going to make a display of all the things I found today and hopefully we can go back soon. These finds mean much more to me because of the history of the town where the items were found. Hillsborough, NC was the capital of North Carolina during the colonial times, so there is LOTS of early history tied to the area.

For you colonial experts, I would appreciate you guys letting me know if you see anything that is for certain colonial, because at this point all I know of is the one buckle, and the three tombacs.

Thanks guys! Enjoy the pictures, and check out Evan's finds at the bottom(two pictures)!
IMAG0388-1.jpg
Everything together
IMAG0380-1.jpg
The buckle I believe to be colonial^
reference:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/FooserPaul/MD2012/Mar/18th/3182012_Buckle_Top.jpg
IMAG0381-1.jpg
Half of an early 1800s possible colonial buckle^
IMAG0382-1.jpg
Back of same^
IMAG0383-1.jpg
Buckle fragment and early tack buckle or other
IMAG0384-1.jpg
Ten flat buttons^
IMAG0386-1.jpg
Front view of flat buttons, notice reeding on big boy, and the THICK silver plate on the bottom right^
IMAG0385-1.jpg
^back view of flat buttons, same orientation as above picture, and three right most are TOMBAC
IMAG0387-1.jpg
^three early 1800s .50 Caliber musket balls, Fired

These next two pictures are Evan's finds. He found 7 flat buttons(two of which are TOMBAC, two buckles and some sort of brass tack. The nail in the middle is interesting because it has no oxidation at all, and is hand forged. We are not sure why it is showing no rust, but it must be the nicest colonial nail ever dug lol!

Attachments

• evan 1.jpg
    evan 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 124
  • evan 2.jpg
    evan 2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 1

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always enjoyed detecting in Hillsborough. I had the pleasure of being able to hunt the Old Hillsborough Military Academy grounds, back in 1999. I pulled two buttons out of there, though I had always wanted to hunt some of the local Colonial period homes in the area. Stop by the church there in town, there are three signers of the Declaration of Independence buried there. I think it is three, it has been a while for me.

Good luck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always enjoyed detecting in Hillsborough. I had the pleasure of being able to hunt the Old Hillsborough Military Academy grounds, back in 1999. I pulled two buttons out of there, though I had always wanted to hunt some of the local Colonial period homes in the area. Stop by the church there in town, there are three signers of the Declaration of Independence buried there. I think it is three, it has been a while for me.

Good luck

I love detecting Hillsborough. There are countless old sites. That is some interesting information about the D.O.I., I did not know that! I really had a good time yesterday. These relics really put things in perspective looking at the progress(and regress) from how things are now as to then. It is also interesting to think that 250 years ago there was a settlement only 10 miles from my house. Thanks for the reply!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "buckle with the two spurs" is a chape, from the center of a colonial buckle. It is not the whole buckle itself. The square one is definitely colonial era (part of the outside, or "frame"). All the finds are old. Let's hope for military buttons or a nice coin from that spot.

Cheers,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread