Colonial Period Mirror Identification ?

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Where can I find out information on a Colonial Period mirror I acquired in the early eighty's. I can post pictures later but I can give a brief description on how I found it and what it looks like .
It was given to me due to it being replaced from a old brick house that was converted to a boarding house . The home once belonged to a family that was from the east coast and whom the first Mayor of Rockford Illinois resided . This house was very old and very large and made of brick . It still had the original gas light fixtures in and on the walls .
Now for the mirror ... It's about 18" x 22" and cut in the shape of Shield . Hand made and hand beveled on the edges . It has hand painted branches ( olive ? ) on the bottom that are entwined with 13 stars and in the middle is a bust of a man with a powdered wig like George Washington or Tomas Jefferson . The mirrored back is well worn and lost a lot of the reflection quality's on the edges . It has two hanger screws that have ornamental type heads that are 18th century or maybe earlier .
So can anyone lead me in the direction of a proper identification ? Any help ? Thanks! Woodstock

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man !!!!! u have to get that mirror to a reputable antique appraiser a.s.a.p.....if it is what I am guessing....you have a beauty find there...now hurry....go !!!!!

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
My parents bought a convex mirror from the late 1700's back in the mid 60's. They paid good money back then, but now it's worth a BOATLOAD of money. It has the 13 balls representing the states, and the eagle perched at the top. Sounds like you have something pretty special, take the advice given in this thread and get it properly appraised. When I say a boatload of money, I mean a BOATLOAD of money. Good luck.

OP
OP
W

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Thanks everyone ! I have to get some pictures posted . It's in what I'd like to call " good shape " seeing it's very - very old and it has old mirror " Patina " (if there is such a thing) However I forgot to add that it has a chip on the bottom possibly from a fall of the wall where it was and it was that way when I acquired it . And like I said has lost the reflective quality all around the edges . A few years back I applied a quality clear coat to the backside to stop the back from continued deterioration . But I truly believe it dates to the mid to late 1800's and the stars represent either the 13 Colonies or the new 13 states . So I hope I can get those pic's posted later . I'll keep everyone posted ! Woodstock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread