Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Recently got back to the states and hit a few of my go to sites in SC. Up first was the British Camp site that produced the 3rd/19th Regimental buttons. Gheenoe78 and I have been back to the site quite a few times so the targets are getting scarce. That being said, I did manage another dropped .75 caliber brown bess round ball...and an unexpected megaladon shark tooth :laughing7:. Leave it to a solid surface find to save the hunt.

6.jpg 7.jpg

Left the woods and headed to another site that has seen some recent erosion. Gheenoe78 managed a killer 1812 brass cuff button, however I did recover a three early pewters. The most intriguing one has a roped edge, similar to the British examples I've dug, but no additional markings on the front. Enjoy the pictures and thanks for looking!

Update: The tooth actually belongs to Carcharocles auriculatus- the first killer shark in the lineage of extinct Great White Sharks...and the predecessor to Megalodon :laughing7:

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that Megalodon tooth! That musket ball looks animal chewed to me...

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that Megalodon tooth! That musket ball looks animal chewed to me...

Hey Westfront,

The pitted lead is due to the saltwater conditions where it was recovered. I have found almost 20 brown bess rounds from the site and all show similar pitting.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty cool group of goodies

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Patriot, short hunts so I was pretty happy with the buttons.

That's not a Megalodon, but actually another rare ancestor shark, but I forget the correct name- Angustidens rings a bell? Congrats that's a killer find! ...literally lol.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's not a Megalodon, but actually another rare ancestor shark, but I forget the correct name- Angustidens rings a bell? Congrats that's a killer find! ...literally lol.

Thanks for the additional information Frisco- never would have thought one of the more valuable finds of my year would be non-metalic. Apparently these are quite rare and the condition is near flawless. You appear to be right regarding the species, C. Auriculatus, based on other examples online.

"C. auriculatus is now extinct and was the first killer shark in the lineage of extinct Great White Sharks. It considered by some to be the first ancestor of the massive extinct killer shark - Megalodon. Most noteworthy on the teeth of the auriculatus shark are the pronounced cusplets flanking the crown. Fine grade teeth are very rare for this shark species and actually, far less abundant than most other prehistoric large sharks."

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt there Jon.
The pewters are great. That tooth is priceless. Its amazing the stuff thats still just laying around. Like the point that was found also..
Great hunt and a good hunting partner. Can't ask for more.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice set of finds! That shark tooth may have been the find of the day :thumbsup:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as we plan and try to orangize hunts at new permissions with the boat and kayaks, the old faithful sites keep giving up the goods! Thats a pretty cool tooth. Great finds.[SUB][/SUB]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread