Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, after my buddy Stan and I got into a few early dated wine bottle seals at this site back in Dec he decided it was time for a return trip and gave me a call to join him on Sat. We decided to concentrate in the same area where the seals had popped up last time. I probed around where we had dug before and the whole area was loaded from a depth of about 1-4 feet. So after clearing the surface roots I started going down and soon started hitting the use layer. However, I quickly came to the conclusion that this new pit didn't have the quantity of glass like the last time so my hopes for multiple seals was dashed early on. It was tough digging with hard-packed brick and oyster shells being predominant (but was much easier than Stan's root-filled pit!), and I eventually started digging a few pipe stems, pottery shards, and wine bottle spouts and bases. No whole pipe bowls showed up this time either. My preferred method of pit digging is to first dig it out and eyeball what I can, then sift the dirt back into the hole. Stan prefers to sift as he takes the dirt out, then rake it back in the hole when he's done. Either way works just fine. Stan finally got things started with a partially broken 1719 seal just like several others he's dug here before. He finished up filling his hole right as I was just getting started sifting and left to go detect in the adjacent fields. I was finding very little of real interest in the sifter, but as I was just about to finish up I eyed another 1719 seal just like Stan had dug, and it was partially broken as well. That was fine with me, though, as I had been successful in finding what I looking for plus it had the full mongram and date. I wrapped up the pit and spent about an hour in the field but only came up with a couple buttons. Anyway, we had a great time and I'm looking forward to getting back there again for another day of backbreaking work. Thanks again Stan for the invite - I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• 021812b.JPG
    021812b.JPG
    456.6 KB · Views: 891
  • 021812j.JPG
    021812j.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 021812i.JPG
    021812i.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 021812h.JPG
    021812h.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 1,167
  • 021812g.JPG
    021812g.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 021812f.JPG
    021812f.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 959
  • 021812e.JPG
    021812e.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 897
  • 021812d.JPG
    021812d.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 886
  • 021812c.JPG
    021812c.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 891
  • 021812a.JPG
    021812a.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 885
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are living the dream!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some OLD stuff your digging in Bill! Too bad they didn't throw out clothes and shoes with buttons an buckles on them!!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post - thanks for sharing!

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT IS A BIG OLE HOLE
NICE FINDS

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs Bill. What did you ever find out about the Robert Carter seal? Did you do any research on it?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet finds!

All the best,

Lanny

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You always get my passion high for Colonial pit digging, Bill. That is some killer stuff you excavated there. It is good to see you as a regular poster on this great forum. You have been doing very well in the fields of Virginia lately. Thank you for sharing your finds.

Kirk :hello:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE: Colonial pit dig - Part II - iron key after electrolysis

Just thought I'd show how well the key cleaned up. Good enough to make the display case.

Attachments

• key1a.JPG
    key1a.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 457

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must do some great research. You always find the stuff I can only dream of. Great job.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
bookfisher said:
Nice Colonial Digs! Have you ever pulled out a bottle fully intact, or did they always break them to create more room in the pit?

There's been one late 1600s pancake onion bottle pulled from the pit area, and one other from the adjacent yard area. But generally bottles and other pottery were reused and not tossed out until they were broken beyond repair. So probably 99% or more of what was thrown in the pit was already broken. And any whole ones tossed in had a tough time surviving due to all the brick, iron and other trash that a bottle could easily break on. So even though our goal is to retreive a whole bottle we know the odds of that are extremely slim. The next best option is to sift the dirt in hopes of recovering a nice dated bottle seal, and we've been successful doing that. Also, to answer your specific question, they were not concerned with room as the pit area is on a very wide and deep slope and there's almost an unlimited area for throwing stuff away. So it wasn't really a "pit" they were tossing stuff into but just a ravine. But over time natural forces covered the area due to erosion, decaying leaves, etc, so we have to actually dig down into what we're calling a pit. Hope this helps.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Not too many pit diggers on this site. Veddy Interesting ! Kirk has told me of you before. You found some cool things for sure. There are a few areas that KKC has hunted up that would benifit from digging and sifting. I don't think the farmers could be convinced though.
Chris

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool relics Bill! :thumbsup:

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Bill D. (VA) said:
bookfisher said:
Nice Colonial Digs! Have you ever pulled out a bottle fully intact, or did they always break them to create more room in the pit?

There's been one late 1600s pancake onion bottle pulled from the pit area, and one other from the adjacent yard area. But generally bottles and other pottery were reused and not tossed out until they were broken beyond repair. So probably 99% or more of what was thrown in the pit was already broken. And any whole ones tossed in had a tough time surviving due to all the brick, iron and other trash that a bottle could easily break on. So even though our goal is to retreive a whole bottle we know the odds of that are extremely slim. The next best option is to sift the dirt in hopes of recovering a nice dated bottle seal, and we've been successful doing that. Also, to answer your specific question, they were not concerned with room as the pit area is on a very wide and deep slope and there's almost an unlimited area for throwing stuff away. So it wasn't really a "pit" they were tossing stuff into but just a ravine. But over time natural forces covered the area due to erosion, decaying leaves, etc, so we have to actually dig down into what we're calling a pit. Hope this helps.

Thanks for answering my question, though I should have remembered that the early settlers did reuse as much as they could. Though an intact bottle is the ultimate, those pottery shards, bottle pieces, and dated bottle seal are historically important early American finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread