Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got an invite from my good buddy Stan to come up his way yesterday and check out a new colonial site where he had secured permission to dig out any privies and trash pits that may be on the property. But after probing and digging a few test holes without much success we decided to head back to his old standby site to dig in a very large and early pit. We initially started out where we left off last winter, but we quickly ran out of the use layer and needed to find another spot. We probed around a bit and both of us found areas that seemed to be promising with heavy crunchiness down as far as our probes would reach. We were already a bit tired after all the digging we had done earlier in the day, but we decided to push ourselves to the limit. We ended up with the usual large, deep pits but impending darkness forced us to finish our sifting and fill the holes back in even though both pits still had plenty of artifacts left to dig. We both were able to recover early bottle seals which is one of the primary goals we have each time out. My previous seals from this site were monogrammed and dated (early 1700s), but the two I dug yesterday have what appears to be family crests or coat of arms showing instead. I need to find a good website so I can ID these, but from my brief web research I believe one of them is from the Chicheley family (the one on the left in the pic showing both of them cleaned up). The seal was likely from a personalized bottle belonging to Sir Henry Chicheley who was a prominent gentleman in the late 1600s, and who also served as the lieutenant governor of VA from 1678-82. So that makes this a pretty cool find if I'm right about the ID. Not sure about the other one, but it may be a variation of the same family crest based on some info I saw online. The pit I was digging in seemed quite early based on these seals as well as the black glass bottle parts that had the wide, flat flange around the spout. These probably date to around 1660-80 per some of my reference books, and are a bit older than the usual pancake onion frags we find here that date to between 1690 and 1710. I also found 3 complete pipe bowls and a number of stems (including one that was marked that I’m researching) as well as some other assorted pottery. I also found my first decorative tin-glazed tile shards which also date to the 1600s. So all-in-all it was back-breaking but very fun day digging in the colonial pits. Can't wait to get back out there again soon.

Attachments

• 122812a.JPG
    122812a.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 226
  • 122812c.JPG
    122812c.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 122812d.JPG
    122812d.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 122812b.JPG
    122812b.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 122812e.JPG
    122812e.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 122812f.JPG
    122812f.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 122812i.JPG
    122812i.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 122812g.JPG
    122812g.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 182
  • 122812h.JPG
    122812h.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Upvote 2

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seals are AWESOME! Congrats!! Hogge

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,I'm impressed! Lov th crackle on the old shards of pottery and seals are in such great shape. I hope that site on tines to produce for you for years to come.

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds, looks like it was a good party!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STELLAR BILL!! The history your findin is unreal to most of us. Tell you what, I'll drive from IND, do all the diggin, you just sit up top , pull all the finds and tell me the history of them and we'll be even bud. I'll wait for directions. LOL. Keep at it, can't wait to see your next post. CONGRATS.. HH

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
STELLAR BILL!! The history your findin is unreal to most of us. Tell you what, I'll drive from IND, do all the diggin, you just sit up top , pull all the finds and tell me the history of them and we'll be even bud. I'll wait for directions. LOL. Keep at it, can't wait to see your next post. CONGRATS.. HH

That sounds like a deal I can't refuse, but I actually love the hard labor and gettin' down and dirty. Maybe when my arms and back have worn out I'll get back with you.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another great dig. Thanks for sharin'!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding assortment of finds Bill. I am so fascinated with your bottle seals (especially your Robert Carter seal from last year) since they are identifiable, not only to a particular person, but very prominent colonial Virginians!! I am also amazed that you or Stan were able to identify the Chicheley seal right away....very impressive.

How close were your two new pits and do you feel you have a lot more to sift from them?

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, guys. I'm a archeo-sifter from way back.
Go over your tailings with a finer mesh sifter, to search for the likes of beads and organic material,i.e. fish scales, nut shell pieces -- any tiny indicators of period foodstuffs. They tell a huge tale.
Just what I see in your photos indicate this was a kitchen midden from very well-to-do folks. Multiple onion bottles is a dead giveaway. Wine and brandy on a regular basis?
Why no whole bottles? Even the rich seldom threw away whole bottles -- at least the kitchen help didn't. Virtually all unbroken bottles in Colonial times were used and reused, often by slaves -- and even by Native Americans, who worked the broken glass into implements.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Joey. Stan was the one who thought it might be a Chicheley seal, not me, so let's make sure we give all the credit for that to him. I was just trying to confirm his suspicions through a little research. The trash pit area is huge, and even though its been dug on and off for several years there are many areas that have yet to be touched. But its becoming more difficult to recognize where its been been dug before due to the nature of the landscape. You just have to dig test holes and confirm that the stratigraphy of the soil has not been disturbed. Otherwise it will just be a homogeneous mixture where it was previously dug and refilled. Yesterday we were digging separate pits about 10-12 ft apart as we usually do. That way we can keep a lot of the tools (mattock, pruners, bow saw, probe, etc) in-between us so we can both get at them easily. But we do have our own sifters which is a must.

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I forgot to mention that those Dutch delft tiles are awesome too. Hopefully you can find the remaining pieces!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,you always bring a nice bunch of history to the surface. Fantastic!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really Cool finds..............................HH

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gorgeous seals! wish i had one of those in my collection!

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Bill. Have you ever tried detecting the dirt that you guys excavate? We sifted also but I got too impatient, so i detected did pretty well. Got bust half dime, cw buttons, seated quarter and an Andrew Jackson congressional button.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Bill. Have you ever tried detecting the dirt that you guys excavate? We sifted also but I got too impatient, so i detected did pretty well. Got bust half dime, cw buttons, seated quarter and an Andrew Jackson congressional button.

We always periodically check the dirt that's coming out with the detector, but unless its something very small that could slip through the 1/4" mesh we're going to find it in the sifter anyway. Plus it's fairly rare to find a coin, button, buckle or any other non-ferrous target in these pits based on my years of experience.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic site. I would keep every piece of glass from that dump and attempt to rebuild those bottles. I did it with a whiskey froman 1840's dump in years past.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic site. I would keep every piece of glass from that dump and attempt to rebuild those bottles. I did it with a whiskey froman 1840's dump in years past.

There were literally hundreds of early black glass bottles thrown into this huge area over a very long period of time. It would be impossible to even attempt putting together a whole bottle from the massive number of pieces. I usually keep some of the spouts and bases, especially the older or unique ones, but all the other pieces are discarded unless they include a seal which we find during the sifting process, or sometimes with the eyeball. There are also massive amounts of brick and oyster shells in the pit too which makes it difficult to both dig and sift. But we do the best we can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread