Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chris and I went on a relic hunt today while Kyle was on a date with a woman he had just met. :hello2: We had a successful hunt and from what Kyle has told me about the date, "She is a winner. She is so sweet. She is a good woman." :laughing7: The weather was a perfect sunny day with a little chill in the air. Chris and I each had a great time and the Colonial relics were plentiful.

We decided to hunt the area of the field where we had located a strict Colonial site. From our estimates, we believe that the site was settled in the 1770s and went defunct sometime around 1780ish. :hello2: The site has a decent amount of iron and pottery sherds. We decided to focus on the deeper, iffy signals and make our sweeps a lot slower. It worked very well for me. I got a handful of early buttons. One button is made of pewter and looks to have a design on it, but I cannot make it out. :dontknow: :'( There Was my Rev. war button, Iron Patch. :laughing7: My best one for the day was the Colonial Blowhole button. :headbang: This is the 2nd one dug at this site. I also got the Colonial saddle piece not too far from the buttons. I believe it is to a saddle. :dontknow: Any help would be appreciated. :)

Chris had a good day as well. He dug a Colonial copper and a handful of tombacs. :icon_thumleft: All in all, I rate this day to be one of the most enjoyable. The weather was awesome :icon_sunny: , my Nissan Versa almost getting stuck in the mud on a farm road :laughing7: , Chris driving up the farm road in reverse with ease after I just barely got free :laughing7: , digging Colonial relics with my good uncle....Priceless!

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

Attachments

• March 27th, 2011 002.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 002.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 839
  • March 27th, 2011 005.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 005.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 839
  • March 27th, 2011 006.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 006.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 835
  • March 27th, 2011 007.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 007.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 838
  • March 27th, 2011 010.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 010.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 844
  • March 27th, 2011 011.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 011.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 827
  • March 27th, 2011 014.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 014.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 828
  • March 27th, 2011 017.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 017.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 829
  • March 27th, 2011 019.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 019.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 821
  • March 27th, 2011 020.JPG
    March 27th, 2011 020.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 823
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Leather decor was most likely on the harness, not the saddle.

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I'm definitely not saying this is your button, but what I am say is it does look like an early numbered British pewter so you have to go back and find a better one!

You could be correct, Patch, on it being an early British Rev. war button. Just my luck with condition. :'(

Bill D. (VA) said:
Althought you didn't reel in a copper, you definitely did well on the buttons. Speaking of coppers, I got a nice 1802 LC yesterday in decent shape at an old site in the middle of some very heavy iron. If I get a chance before going to DIV I'll post it. Congrats again on some nice finds ..... Bill

Thanks, Bill, for the response. I was happy with my relic day. I got a handful of early stuff and a few more things to add to my "Colonial Display" at the end of the year. :icon_thumleft:

bocephus99 said:
Killer blowhole button.. :headbang:...that one is on my list!

Western Kentucky may give one up soon. With those early sites you have, you will get one in no time.

SouthJerseyJim said:
Very nice Kirk! I have a ton of buttons but only a handful of those blow hole buttons very nice! Gotta love seeing that orange and black pottery, hearing the sounds of iron in your headphones, digging tombacs and early coppers, seeing brick, clamshells, arrowheads, man what a great hobby.... :headbang:

I totally agree with you, Jim. This is the best hobby! Nothing can be better than eyeballing that black and orange pottery and hearing iron. :headbang:

Kirk

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
It would be awesome to have confirmation that indeed you found a Rev War button. Like Kyle says ...The plow and fertilizers do play havoc. You almost had to borrow the farmers tractor to pull the ole Nissan out of the colonial mud. My Subaru is a tank and easily made it even in reverse. You tied me in Blowhole buttons. Glad Kyle had a good time, otherwise he would have been troubled that he missed out. Looking forward to nailing a new site.
Chris

I had a great time, Zeus. I was happy to get off of that road. I was stuck for a moment and just gunned the gas. Luckily I escaped! :laughing7:

Kirk

SC Keith said:
:icon_thumright:
Congrats on some nice relics on the frontier there Kirk! That site is giving up the goodies and I guess the belt plate to that rev war button is still in there! :wink:

Thank you, my friend! PA is known to have some early sites and we definitely hunted one of them. I guess I can say that I got my 1st Rev. war button. :hello2:

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
common......you guys can do better than that!!! Where are all the coins............?

Keep on digging!!

OP
OP
Kirk PA

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Seeker said:
common......you guys can do better than that!!! Where are all the coins............?

Keep on digging!!

Chris found a Colonial copper and a Coronet cent over the weekend. :icon_thumleft: I got three Colonial coppers last weekend. :wink: One of them was a 1766-1769 KG III Irish halfpenny. Check out my last post. :wink:

This year has been a little slower on coppers. We have 12 so far this year as a group. We hope to hit on a new site this weekend. Stay tuned! :wink:

Kirk :wink:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice hunt! i only have dug one blow hole button,not a common find to say the least.a woman? sticks finger down throat :tongue3: get the ball and chain ready! just kiddin man...good for you! a good woman is hard to find.get her a detector for a gift.elbows you :tongue3:

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
The Seeker said:

Keep on digging!!

Chris found a Colonial copper and a Coronet cent over the weekend. :icon_thumleft: I got three Colonial coppers last weekend. :wink: One of them was a 1766-1769 KG III Irish halfpenny. Check out my last post. :wink:

This year has been a little slower on coppers. We have 12 so far this year as a group. We hope to hit on a new site this weekend. Stay tuned! :wink:

Kirk :wink:

Hey Kirk......You guys have come a long way and have found some great stuff over the years......thought I would just bust your (you know whats)......I have one copper to start the year and 1 gun barrel.....bunch of buttons , not bad, first time out......The season is early and the snow is gone!!! :hello2: :hello2: Keep on Digging!

John

U

umrgolf

good lookin relics Kirk.. In your 7th pic on the right, sure that's not a clipped copper? looks like a perfect half-circle :dontknow:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of colonial finds Kirk. I like the blow hole button, ive found a few down here too and the strap end in the last pic sometimes fools some people......some types of them use to be misidentified as Confederate insignia... :tongue3: :laughing9: Nice Job Buddy!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Kirk.. :thumbsup:

We cant have a bonanza every weekend...Unfortunately

I didnt do that great this weekend either..Alot of scouting :read2: