Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Managed to get out and do a bit of swinging over the holiday weekend. No colonial gold to round out the year, but beggars can't be choosers :laughing7: The first site is a go to for Gheenoe78 and I- we've pulled dozens of buttons, round balls, and the occasional Spanish cob. The tides were exceptionally low which allowed for new dirt to be exposed...normally under 2-3 ft of seawater. The first dig was a copper alloy 18th century buckle. While only a fragment, its amazing how well its survived in the surf.

OI000001.jpg OI000002.jpg

Among the other digs were a few flat buttons, musket balls, CW era leather rivet, and a brass trigger (I think).

OI000003.jpg OI000005.jpg OI000006.jpg

Surface finds were free for the picking given the normally hidden shoreline...tons of early pottery, pipe fragments, and blown glass shards. This one in particular still has a inlaid silver ring along the edge.

OI000004.jpg

The big surprise came on Xmas morning while visiting my Grandparents in Richmond. 12 Years ago my Grandfather had lost a 10 foot section of chain behind his house. Knowing I had the CTX, he asked if I could recover it. After about 15 minutes I got the overload signal I expected, and dug a shallow but heavy plug. While it wasn't the chain, I figured as the first dig I might as well take a closer look. To my surprise I recovered a heavy, iron hunk...of cannonball! Spherical in shape, the diameter 5.5 inches, 4 lbs in weight...although I suspect the actual dimensions would be larger given the fragment is not a clean cross section.

OI000007.jpg OI000008.jpg OI000009.jpg

Any additional info/guesses on the iron ID is greatly appreciated and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• OI000001.jpg
    OI000001.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 126
  • OI000002.jpg
    OI000002.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 10

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that your trip back to Virginia went well, and you were able to take home a few interesting keepers. Can't help you with that big iron item, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. And you still have a couple of days to find that colonial gold.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see that your trip back to Virginia went well, and you were able to take home a few interesting keepers. Can't help you with that big iron item, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. And you still have a couple of days to find that colonial gold.

Thanks Bill, sadly won't be able to get out again until after the New Year but its been quite a 2015...my colonial gold came earlier this year. I'll get my year end post up once I get back stateside, but here's the 1750-1770 British Merchant Captain's Gold Dress Cuff- my favorite find of the year.

gold2.jpg

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs vmair. I live on the Canadian prairies, so forgive me if this is a stupid question- would that cannonball be Rev or Civ war? Either way it is cool as hell. The gold cuff is a wonderful find, I must have missed the post when you found it earlier in the year. Good luck in 2016

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs vmair. I live on the Canadian prairies, so forgive me if this is a stupid question- would that cannonball be Rev or Civ war? Either way it is cool as hell. The gold cuff is a wonderful find, I must have missed the post when you found it earlier in the year. Good luck in 2016

Hey Mike,

Hard to be certain, however the property is a stones throw from a federal arsenal that predates the CW. I suspect it may be an 18 pounder, solid shot- a close match to the 5.17 in shot diameter. The 18 pounder caliber had been phased out by the Civil War although some were in service at some of the lower priority forts and were seized by the Confederates. Federal production will predate 1850, Confederates manufactured limited quantity during the war. Hopefully one of our cannonball experts weighs in.

Last edited:

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some cool relics. :thumbsup:
Congrats on a great year
Beautiful cuff button.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool man....I see someone got wet in the warm winter ha.

The frag looks like a union naval shell.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That certainly is a cool find Jon,
But I never seen that button before. Man thats killer..

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Betcha TheCannonBallGuy could help you out on your fragment with even just the portion that you found if you have access to a set of calipers. Broken pottery,buttons,and pipe stems are always good finds!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great buttons and relics. The cannonball is amazing and on my list.

Congrats

Steve

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Betcha TheCannonBallGuy could help you out on your fragment with even just the portion that you found if you have access to a set of calipers. Broken pottery,buttons,and pipe stems are always good finds!

Yes indeed, hoping he stumbles across the thread

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're finding that type of stuff you have to feel a good button is close!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another good day in the salt & the cannonball is a great find. You have had a great year detecting-congrats.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go Jon! Great dig on the cannonball! Looks like y'all had another good day on the shoreline too. Congrats and see you soon.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread