Colonial/Rev War Site Relics (Regiment marked Brown Bess escutcheon plate!!)

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Inspired by Wess' military buckle, I ventured to one of my super secret Rev War skirmish sites. Detected two days and was richly rewarded. The place had really changed with a lot of sand moved around. I knew it was going to be good when round balls ( of many different calibers) started to come out. Alot of indian pottery, some colonoware (not shown) and some really old buttons were uncovered. Nearly 30 flat buttons and several unreadable English made pewter buttons with corroded iron loop shank (don't you hate that). Old china, some type of handle with cherub faces on either side, Rev War bayonet frog, lock plate marked with GR under crown, glass bottle seal with coat of arms, clothes fastener with peacock(?) on it, pipe stems, arrow heads, etc. Of course the best find of the two days is the Brown Bess flintlock rifle escutcheon (or wrist/thumb) plate marked with the 19th Regt No 1. The 19th saw action at this particular spot. As I understand it, these wrist plates were usually marked with the regiment number, company letter and rack number, but I guess the 19th didn't mark their rifles with the company letter. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• colrelic1.jpg
    colrelic1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,478
  • colrelic2.jpg
    colrelic2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,569
  • colrelic3.jpg
    colrelic3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,698
  • colrelic4.jpg
    colrelic4.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 1

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some really nice finds.

Nothing gets me more excited than finding colonial history. The arrow heads are nice also.

HH Jer

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY nice finds....Congrats!!! Gotta be some old coins there as well...:)

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow man! Glad I could inspire you ::) You put my buckle to shame! *hahah*

Seriously, those are some awesome finds. You know when you start finding the edge scalloped ceramics you are into the old stuff. I get that exact stuff at a few of my sites...minus the rest of the beautiful relics *haha*

That escutcheon plate is awesome!

Wess

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My absolute favorite time period! Those are some very sweet finds! Great condition! Thanks for sharing these!

OP
OP
FMarion2ndRegSC

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Thanks everyone. I can't wait to detect this spot again. leddel, the lock plate is the item just to the right of the escutcheon plate.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
i don't mean any disresect but i thought a lockplate was the firing side plate that the hammer with flint and the fizzen were connected to something like this

Attachments

• 100_0086 lockplate 1.jpg
    100_0086 lockplate 1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,275
OP
OP
FMarion2ndRegSC

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Oh my apologies, no disrespect taken. When I say lock plate, I am referring to the little plate on actual locks, as on chests. These locks have little plates on them that slide to cover the keyhole to keep out dirt and debris that would impair the insertion of the key (as I understand it anyway)...not the lockplate as in the plate from a rifle's flint"lock" mechanism.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Finds! :o What is great about this stuff is the History it stands for ......... So much happened back in that time period that some of those events have been over looked and sometimes forgotten. With the Civil war being such a big event later after the Revolutionary war and the War of 1812 (The forgotton War). Coming up with such nice pieces like that are a real treat for the people and collectors that have an interest in them! Me being one of them!!! Great job and thanks for posting! :)

OP
OP
FMarion2ndRegSC

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
I totally agree Seeker. I'm a big Rev War fan and detecting these fast disappearing sites (usually under concrete and asphalt) is my favorite. Happy to share and stay tuned, I'm on a roll!! ;)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
FM I love your relics. I love the Rev war period. You have some awesome finds there. I live in a town known for Rev war activity and found a few items that are shown in my Rev war encyclopedia. Nothing like finding great old history. Thanks for sharing your finds with us, they are great.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice,

hh

lonewolfe

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super secret site! I don't blame you,Amazing digs! Congrats. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread