16025031063518280637602184659620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
Upvote 21

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful buttons- Congrats from another Mass hunter!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buttons, congrats.
There's similar patterns from the link provided at the bottom of the page.
18thC silver Royal Navy buttons, cuff links and studs
Silverbuttons

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Pepperj. I have many of these (purchased not detected). They are British Royal Navy Captain dress cufflinks. Sometimes pewter, sometimes Silver! You dug these out of the ground? You lucky Bostonian! Congrats! Now when do you find those British 5th Regiment of Foot buttons?...lol

tudor rose.jpg

Regards,

JG

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some great finds from another Mass hunter!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding a second Colonial silver button/cufflink! :notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are 18th C cufflink's but the Navy connection is sketchy at best.

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
They are 18th C cufflink's but the Navy connection is sketchy at best.

Your mates at the 'Colchester Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Society' seem to disagree with you. As do many others. Many "authorities" claim the Tudor Rose design predates the fouled Anchor Design for Royal Navy Buttons. But I've never been a slave to what the "authorities" say.

The Colchester boys have an email on their website. Perhaps you should contact them and inform them of your skepticism.

Navy buttons

JG

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your mates at the 'Colchester Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Society' seem to disagree with you. As do many others. Many "authorities" claim the Tudor Rose design predates the fouled Anchor Design for Royal Navy Buttons. But I've never been a slave to what the "authorities" say.

The Colchester boys have an email on their website. Perhaps you should contact them and inform them of your skepticism.

Navy buttons

JG
Tried pointing out their mistakes before, they ignore.(they have a few) Its not in their interest to change the story for the paying US.

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not in their interest to change the story for the paying US.

Well please tell us what 'you' think these Tudor Rose objects represent. Civilian fashion? What? I've never purchased any from the UK. Mostly from Canada.

Also. Can you tell me if Brits generally think Americans are gullible or just filthy rich? I have passed on many items for sale by UK sellers because they wanted £20 postage to send an item weighing .8 grams.

Best regards,

JG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well please tell us what 'you' think these Tudor Rose objects represent. Civilian fashion? What? I've never purchased any from the UK. Mostly from Canada.

Also. Can you tell me if Brits generally think Americans are gullible or just filthy rich? I have passed on many items for sale by UK sellers because they wanted £20 postage to send an item weighing .8 grams.

Best regards,

JG
Honestly, I'm bored of explaining it, done it many times on here. Basically they are just a popular pattern on many items.
Second question is a bit loaded. I can only speak for myself, not others, but I'll give it a go. I know that you guys generally value history more than us Brits, which translates into you paying more than we would. Is that gullible?

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly, I'm bored of explaining it, done it many times on here. Basically they are just a popular pattern on many items.
Second question is a bit loaded. I can only speak for myself, not others, but I'll give it a go. I know that you guys generally value history more than us Brits, which translates into you paying more than we would. Is that gullible?

Yes. But this "pattern" disappears from the historic record here in North America at precisely the time the fouled anchor naval buttons came into vogue. Sorry to bore you, but I don't believe in "settled science." I respectfully remain skeptical from the opposing point of view.

If it's true that Americans value history so much more than Brits, it might be because we have so precious little of it. A few hundred years of recorded history.

I hope the "change the story for the paying US" comment wasn't a cheap shot...lol

P.S. One of my ancestors signed the death warrant of Charles I. Not all of us Colonials are descended from Indentured Servants or poor immigrants as some over there seem to think. 8-)

Best regards,

JG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. But this "pattern" disappears from the historic record here in North America at precisely the time the fouled anchor naval buttons came into vogue. Sorry to bore you, but I don't believe in "settled science." I respectfully remain skeptical from the opposing point of view.

If it's true that Americans value history so much more than Brits, it might be because we have so precious little of it. A few hundred years of recorded history.

I hope the "change the story for the paying US" comment wasn't a cheap shot...lol

P.S. One of my ancestors signed the death warrant of Charles I. Not all of us Colonials are descended from Indentured Servants or poor immigrants as some over there seem to think. 8-)

Best regards,

JG
Your not boring me, but we are hijacking the OP's post which is sometimes considered disrespectful. I know that most of these have nothing to do with the military & you can believe what you like & so can I.
You said us Brits charge £20 for postage, I just paid £46 from the US for 1 silver spoon, who's gullible.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do I detect another high-handed slight (or several in one paragraph?). :occasion18: A boy and his crawdad - 1, America - 0 :laughing7:

Second question I know that you guys generally value history more than us Brits, which translates into you paying more than we would. Is that gullible?

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
The substance of our conversation pertains mostly to the topic of the thread (Tudor Rose Cufflinks), so I don't think we've crossed the threshold of hijacking. £46 total, or £46 just for shipping? You could ship a Shield Back chair for that kind of money.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The substance of our conversation pertains mostly to the topic of the thread (Tudor Rose Cufflinks), so I don't think we've crossed the threshold of hijacking. £46 total, or £46 just for shipping? You could ship a Shield Back chair for that kind of money.
Shipping only.

''Do I detect another high-handed slight (or several in one paragraph?). :occasion18: A boy and his crawdad - 1, America - 0 :laughing7:''
Hadn't realised we were in a competition, maybe I should try harder next time.:laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread