Colonial Silver??? Central Ohio.

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went arrowhead hunting last Sunday and took the detector. On two previous short trips out in this field, I found a couple of flint knives and several railway spikes and 8 horseshoes. Why there are so many spikes in these fields seems odd since the railway is 3/4 mile away.

Well it paid to swing the detector!

I found this coin in the middle of no where. It is well worn with almost nothing on the one side. From what I can get I know it was a Mexican made Spanish 1 reale. It also appears to be counter struck 5 times? In a cross pattern perhaps?? The coin is the close to the size of a penny.

All information would be appreciated. HH

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 4

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a very worn 1 Real--they should be about the same diameter as a nickel. A 1/2 Real is a bit smaller than a dime. I don't see the counterstrikes though. Prob ca. 1760 or so. Nice find!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a counterfeit real...send for Iron patch. Cool find:thumbsup:

SS

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not an expert or anything but I may be in agreement with silver searcher, perhaps counterfeit? its worn wierd and if it was silver I wouldnt expect that itd look like that, again just my opinion still a cool find:icon_thumleft:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, I like it when they show there wear, it gives them more personality. Like the caulifowered eared old boxer, you can see every fight he has been in his face. It tells a story.
Great find,
ZDD

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm usually the first one to jump onto the counterfeit coin bandwagon, but I can't say for sure from the pics. It does look to be silver plated in the first pic, but that blackening around the edges could be tarnished silver. If it is a real coin its either a 1/2 or a 1 reale as Erik described above. Either way, this is a milled bust type coin that was minted in Mexico (see the "M" at the 8:00 position on the reverse). This style was produced between 1772 and 1808. But with the "F-M" joint assayers mark that narrows the date down to either between 1772-77 or 1783-1801. I can't see the counterstamps either as the pic is too dark. Nice find regardless.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i seen these types as buttons too but don't see a shank...possibly a counterfeit...if anyone can answer this it will be IP...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
i seen these types as buttons too but don't see a shank...possibly a counterfeit...if anyone can answer this it will be IP...

It's possible this could be a coin button as I see what looks like a scar where a shank could have been attached.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always possible it's a button, but I think that would be creating a theory with very little evidence that supports it. To me it just looks like a worn Spanish, maybe counterfeit because it does sort of have a plated it look to it, something I see on French coins that are only part silver. If my find I just call it a Spanish silver coin and start looking for the next.

PS: The vast majority of Spanish reale designed buttons were made as buttons to begin with, and not coins that had a shank later attached. They are also a much lower grade metal, usually pewter or something close to that.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks worn silver to me, if it were plated & that worn we would know about it.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find.:thumbsup: Hard to tell from a picture whether its counterfeit or not.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No comment on what you said. However, it doesn't look bullion either.

I did not say it was anything so there's no point to challenge. (and I said billon not bullion)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread