SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Mom and I hit the dream field again to hit an area of Soy that has dodged the combine for a while that I knew had more buttons and coins in it. It borders the same field with all those half cents and Nj's etc. Got there and started digging buttons again. First coin was this 1807 LC in excellent shape. Found a bunch more buttons and the area started to get quiet so we moved to some adjacent fields. Mom pulled some buttons and an Indian head I wandered off to a spot where a few colonial things have turned up before. Ended up with a button and an Irish Farthing possibly? I see the harp and a 17 to the left and a Bust of the front. We ate lunch put fresh batteries in and debated which field to hit next. We decided on the front field we havn't done in a while. It sure was cold and windy with the sun behind the clouds. After an hour or so of nothing to show for but slaw I followed mom to the left side of the field where she had a good feeling. She dug a horshoe and an Injun and I had an 80-82 on the VDI and thought more bottle caps or slaw but it wasnt. Turned out to be this crisp 1744 1/2 Real! One I havnt seen posted before. Looks like a mexico city mint. We were just talking in the truck about how I havn't found any reales in this field ever. I have only 1 to my name before this too. I thought it was a game piece
laughing7.gif
. It sure capped my day of as a great success. As for Mom she'll get me the next time out
tongue3.gif

PB280047.jpg

PB280048.jpg

PB280049.jpg

PB270043.jpg

PB270044.jpg

1744 1/2 Real
PB280045.jpg

PB280046.jpg

17?? Farthing?
PB280051.jpg

PB280052.jpg

Spanish
PB280055.jpg

PB280053.jpg

Upvote 9

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
perfect hunt right there!awesome job!

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrific assortment of oldies. You've got a great locale there. Hope it keeps giving.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, another terrific field hunt for you! I love the mixture of special finds and I do mean special. There are not many pre Carolus III Half Reals found, I have only 1 (1739) and I checked Wayne Shelby's C4 article on 1000 Colonials Coins found in NJ and he listed only 4 Spanish Pillar Half Real found, out of almost 60 Half Real in his survey.
Then there is the KGII Hibernia Farthing, I know I have none and Wayne does not show any KGII Irish Farthings either, unless he made a mistake and counted them in his KGII Farthing list (11). So I would consider the Farthing just as hard to get coin as the Pillar Half Real..............
Looks like the 1807 is in good shape, glad to see that and the buttons, thimble and two Barber dimes just rounded out your finds!

Don

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That field is truly AMAZIN!! You cant ask for a 268 year old coin to look any better than that.. Simlpy STELLAR Jim!! Then top it off with all the other finds. That Largie wood make the hunt any other day. I cant wait to read ur next article in W&E mag.. CONGRATS.. HH

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Don and fishstick. I had no idea the coins were that scarce. These fields have been the most productive area we have ever hunted. Two 1793 half cents is crazy in itself. In a few years when we have really put a hurting on the fields it will make for one hell of an article. I believe there was a small colonial community back there tucked away from everything.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of eye openers there!!!! Any one of them would have made my day!
Nick

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is the way to Colonial bombard those fields, Jim. That field along the creek is one of the best I have seen. Thank you for sharing your finds.

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread