SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out and took advantage of the nice weather on sunday with my mom, a friend, and my GF to a site i've been researching for quite some time. On our first try the week before we struck out and dug all trash IE shotgun shells. This sunday we decided to give another spot a try and immediately started digging buttons. Well I guess we were in the right spot! Only had a few hours to detect before dark so tried to cover as much ground as possible. We wasted half the day in the wrong spot but you dont know til you try right? So in total I believe there were 8 buttons (4 not shown moms gotem) I also found some sort of ornate flower piece and a brooch/hair holder thingy also ornate. Im dying to go back there soon to hit up the same spot and go reall slowww, but theres still about 300 more acres of possibilities also :icon_pirat:. Don't recall finding much trash there either mostly artifacts. I also know for a fact that some real nice coins have come out of the area also. Here's our meager findings, also can anyone date the buttons. I know the gilted one has writing but i cannot make it out. The two are nickle in color, other 2 are copper/brass. Im thinking colonial but im no expert. Thanks ~Jim

finds.jpg

ornateflower.jpg

gilt.jpg

jewlery.jpg

large.jpg

nickel.jpg

Upvote 0

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice buttons, the site looks promising. I'm not to knowledgeable on the buttons, but I hope you find some old coins there to date the area.

TommNJ

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys I just cant wait to get back there, Im aiming for sunday all day. Hopefully that spanish silver or gold pops up somewhere. Also my buddy detected away from us in a second set of woods and pulled one of the big buttons out of the ground so Im thinking there is gonna be stuff all over the place, just gotta do it all before the mosquitos and critters come out full swing. :o

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a part of a openwork 18th century shoe buckle. An 18th century clog clasp(picture 2). So definately colonial.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Crusader I think your dead on with the Show buckle. Can't find any pictures for the Clog Clasps though. Hopefully Ill have some more pics for you to decipher come sunday night :thumbsup:

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Nice old digs! Keep hitting that place as long as you can. Might need to dig up a lot of relics before you find the silver, but as you said.... You never know till you try!!!

Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Crusader that is Dead on! Can't for the day to be over so I can wake up and go back to the spot in the morning. I'll keep you posted. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthJerseyJim said:
Thanks Crusader that is Dead on! Can't for the day to be over so I can wake up and go back to the spot in the morning. I'll keep you posted. :thumbsup:

Good Luck. I too enjoy fishing although its taken a back burner. As I would rather bring home finds than photos of big fish. I do miss fishing :'(

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Colonial Stuff.. Update =(

Well there was high hopes for todays adventure but it turned out to be a partial bummer. Hunted for a good 6 hours at the spot with 1 raggedy button 2 thimbles some whatsits and a bunch of small lead for all my efforts. My mom made out well with a drop next to a tree of 1 Silver quarter, 1 merc dime and a wheaty. Also one button back and some more intricate lookin pieces. Was really hopin for some spanish silver or old coppers to show their head but after hours of pounding the same area we called it quits. We also forgot that the tide was going to be high on our way back in from the woods and the "small" creek we walked through on the way in wasn't so small anymore. Threw everything we could across the banks and prepared for a nice cold wade up to our wastes to the other side and another 1 mile walk back to the truck. :'( Was a beauty of a day though. Time to do some more researching. Back to square 1.

woods7.jpg

woods6.jpg

Lead spoon?
woods5.jpg

woods3.jpg

??
woods4.jpg

woods2.jpg

Thimbles
woods1.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alsways next time, sounds like an adventure on the way back :D

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a spot with great potential. Hopefully it isn't too far from home, being in all the wet clothes and all.

Welcome to the forum!

Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread