Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I spent a full day at the site where I found the 1732 cut Pistarereen and 30th Regiment of Foot button last Saturday. On the advice of Outdooradv (Brad) I took a sifter with me-and boy was I glad that I did!
I metal detected for a couple of hours and sifted the rest of the day; in the first picture my detecting finds are to the far right & everything else was found sifting. Pretty much every load I sifted had something interested in it, mostly pottery shards, oyster shells and animal bone fragments. Also black glass and colonoware (slave pottery). Clay pipe pieces abounded-28 stem pieces & parts of 3 bowls.
When you are sifting you never know what might pop up. What I thought was a pair of scissors later turned out to be a complete spring from the flintlock mechanism of a musket. The blade of a table knife and a glass stopper for a perfume bottle also came from the sifter, as did a small clawed porcelin foot from a statue or dish.
All in all it was loads of fun and I can't wait to go back. Thanks Brad for turning me on to one of the most productive and unpredictable methods of recovering relics. I highly recommend it!

Attachments

• 1452210854878.jpg
    1452210854878.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 1452210871440.jpg
    1452210871440.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 1452210883060.jpg
    1452210883060.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 1452210895364.jpg
    1452210895364.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 1452210908905.jpg
    1452210908905.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 19

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment, sifting can open up a whole new perspective on digging in the dirt.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been telling all my detecting buddies for quite a while now that finding, digging out, and sifting colonial trash pits is way more fun than detecting, and so far I think everyone has agreed with me. Glad to see you joined the club with that productive dig, and I'm sure you're hooked now. Looks like you recovered some early ceramics including Westerwald stoneware (with the GR medallion) and some nice yellow combed slipware. Looks like you definitely have an 18th century site there, and you might be able to narrow the average date of occupancy by measuring all the pipe stems using drill bits, and then use the formula from Hume's book. To save you the time I'm posting a pic below from one of my magazine articles from a while back that shows you exactly how to do that if you're so inclined. This method is pretty good, but as you get close to the end of the 18th century it's not quite as accurate. I bet you have a lot more work to do at that site, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you pull out of there. Good luck!

View attachment pipe stem analysis.bmp

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been telling all my detecting buddies for quite a while now that finding, digging out, and sifting colonial trash pits is way more fun than detecting, and so far I think everyone has agreed with me. Glad to see you joined the club with that productive dig, and I'm sure you're hooked now. Looks like you recovered some early ceramics including Westerwald stoneware (with the GR medallion) and some nice yellow combed slipware. Looks like you definitely have an 18th century site there, and you might be able to narrow the average date of occupancy by measuring all the pipe stems using drill bits, and then use the formula from Hume's book. To save you the time I'm posting a pic below from one of my magazine articles from a while back that shows you exactly how to do that if you're so inclined. This method is pretty good, but as you get close to the end of the 18th century it's not quite as accurate. I bet you have a lot more work to do at that site, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you pull out of there. Good luck!

View attachment 1257362

Thanks Bill! I'm already planning on a full day of sifting on Sunday. :)

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Dirty,
It sure looks like you had a blast!! Bill and Brad have been telling me to get out the sifter for a year now.. Were you working by yourself?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort enough trash and you will find treasure, glad to see you found alot of colonial artifacts! It's been such a long time now since those colonial days that it is almost the stuff of legend. To still be able to find pieces of this near-legendary time in the ground is just wonderful. :)

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Dirty,
It sure looks like you had a blast!! Bill and Brad have been telling me to get out the sifter for a year now.. Were you working by yourself?

I was flying solo. With half inch mesh in the sifter it wasn't that bad.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been waiting half a day to see these awesome pictures. WELL DONE :thumbsup: That looks much older than my pit. The British GR stoneware piece is incredible. I hope you can find some more pieces to that. Also love all those pipe stems and bowles. Really looking forward to seeing what you find this weekend. It's only a matter of time before some masked coins and buttons come out of this pit.

Brad

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting half a day to see these awesome pictures. WELL DONE :thumbsup: That looks much older than my pit. The British GR stoneware piece is incredible. I hope you can find some more pieces to that. Also love all those pipe stems and bowles. Really looking forward to seeing what you find this weekend. It's only a matter of time before some masked coins and buttons come out of this pit.

Brad

Thanks Brad-I am just getting started at that site. No telling what might turn up there. The plantation was started in the 1680s.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice finds. I like the flintlock spring. looks like you have quite a site to hunt.

Best of luck to you, and sift on brother!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have a friend in Virginia that has found some incredible coins and buttons by sifting. I think it would be a blast. That flintlock mechanism is in such good shape.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job
I have a sifter collecting dust.
Now I have to find a place to sift.
Congrats on your finds.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sifting looks like fun. Its rained a lot here lately, can anyone tell me if sifting is possible in moist soil?

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice colonial goodies

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sifting looks like fun. Its rained a lot here lately, can anyone tell me if sifting is possible in moist soil?

I tried it a couple weeks ago after a lot of rain... key word "tried"! Ha. It was impossible to sift the wet dirt through the 1/2" screen and ended up just making balls of mud as I shook the sifter. I did find the 2 VA half pennies in the pit that day, but with my machine and not sifting. After a while I gave up and just filled the hole in. Personally I preferred sifting when it was dry because the dirt fell right away from everything... Made it easy to spot pipe pieces, buttons, bones, and flints.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the westerwald medallion and slipware! It's awesome to see some colonial pit digging going on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread