Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One 'real' Spanish 'cob' coin, Potosi (Bolivia) mint; assayer "E" (Antonio de Ergueta: 1652-1678). Guessing date as 1662 (first two numbers are omitted). 93% silvers; should weigh about 3.4g.
Middle line will read: PLV SVL TRA meaning "more beyond", signifying Spanish owership 'more beyond' the Pillars of Hercules (the two columns) which stood at the western entrance to the Med. Sea.
Don.......

OP
OP
V

VaRelics

Mar 27, 2009
Very interesting to learn the details. If this cob could only talk it would probably be an interesting story from Bolivia to Virginia in the 1600's.

Best Regards,

VaRelics

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
It looks like someone was trying to pierce it with a square tool, but it didn't penetrate all the way through.

Stan

OP
OP
V

VaRelics

Mar 27, 2009
The site was full of square nails and I found one in the same whole with it. Maybe they tried to hammer a nail through it? Here is a picture of the other side.

Attachments

• CIMG1734.JPG
    CIMG1734.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 406

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow - That is an AWESOME coin!! Knowing you found it down the road makes me like the prospects of digging around here even more. Thank you for sharing :)
Anthony

OP
OP
V

VaRelics

Mar 27, 2009
Thanks,

The ironic thing is I'm a relic hunter and had no clue what this coin was when I found it. We were searching small creeks by boat along the James when we happened upon a very old house or camp site across from Williamsburg. I can tell you it had to be a hard existance for the people who lived at this site. (very remote)

Virginia has as much early history if not more than anywhere in the US so you live in a good area for early coins. Looks like you’ve done pretty well yourself!

Best Regards,

VaRelics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread