tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put some miles behind me today going from Salida to Ouray and then I went over hwy. 142 through Rico to call it quits in Dove Creek. The roads were dry almost all the way. Going on Hwy. 50 by the Blue Mesa Res. the warm water was steaming off a mist and coating everything around in ice crystals. It was pretty neat to witness and I wished I could have taken more time to get a few more pictures of that area..

Attachments

• 011316 1.jpg
    011316 1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
  • 011316 2.jpg
    011316 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • 011316 3.jpg
    011316 3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 011316 4.jpg
    011316 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...I thought that "rang a bell". Several years ago Chris and I drove thru western CO, and we ended up staying overnight at Dove Ck., before heading up 141. That was one of our favorite trips. I think we were the only customers at that motel...Ha! We should have stopped at Cortez! Nice pics, Tamrock.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...I thought that "rang a bell". Several years ago Chris and I drove thru western CO, and we ended up staying overnight at Dove Ck., before heading up 141. That was one of our favorite trips. I think we were the only customers at that motel...Ha! We should have stopped at Cortez! Nice pics, Tamrock.
Jim
I'm sitting right here at that same motel I'll bet. The Country Inn. I love the place and I'll have breakfast at the Dinner Bell. I know just about every one who'll be in there this morning . They'll all be wanting to know whats going on in mining here and there. These folks here have lived through all the booms and bust in the Uranium mining. There are all these small town I've stayed at over the years and many have a feeling of good and bad. This town is a good feeling. I will say Cortez gives me the uneasy feeling and I won't stay there. Alcohol has poisoned a great deal of the Native souls there. Bad news place IMO.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, some fantastic scenery. Beautiful.

Except for the snow, mountains, trees and ice, it looks just like Florida in the winter.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sitting right here at that same motel I'll bet. The Country Inn. I love the place and I'll have breakfast at the Dinner Bell. I know just about every one who'll be in there this morning . They'll all be wanting to know whats going on in mining here and there. These folks here have lived through all the booms and bust in the Uranium mining. There are all these small town I've stayed at over the years and many have a feeling of good and bad. This town is a good feeling. I will say Cortez gives me the uneasy feeling and I won't stay there. Alcohol has poisoned a great deal of the Native souls there. Bad news place IMO.
Yeah....we blew right through Cortez....nothing impressed us. An hour later we realized there was only one town left to stay the night. The place we stayed at was on the east side. We ate dinner at a place on the west side, and breakfast at a little place on the east side, near the north end of town. The motel was clean, but old, on the east side, and about the middle of town, as I recall. There are probably only two eating places in Dove Ck. Everybody was friendly, and courteous. Of course, we expect that...we're from Idaho!
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah....we blew right through Cortez....nothing impressed us. An hour later we realized there was only one town left to stay the night. The place we stayed at was on the east side. We ate dinner at a place on the west side, and breakfast at a little place on the east side, near the north end of town. The motel was clean, but old, on the east side, and about the middle of town, as I recall. There are probably only two eating places in Dove Ck. Everybody was friendly, and courteous. Of course, we expect that...we're from Idaho!
Jim
Cortez is a neat town to visit, but there's a dark side to the place. You stayed in Dove Creek a the same place I did, I'll bet. It is older an place, but the owner is a great fella. He's Italian national and the smell of his dinner cooking will blow you away. It always smells delicious. His wife died and he's been pretty down on my last visits. He tells me he really hasn't much to live for with her gone, but assures me it will be God to do what he will with the rest of his life. It's really sad, but I've always had the knack in cheering folks up. He's always glad to see me come around. You just know he was really in love with his wife and misses her deeply. The cafe you had breakfast at I'm sure was the Dinner Bell. In the NAPA auto parts store the fella who owns it has an old Raven in there. I'm sure it's most likely dead now as I haven't been in there in a couple years. That old bird had what looked like cataracts in his eye's and he'd caw every time some one came in the door. The owner looks like Captain Kangaroo. Dove Creek is overall one happy community and they have nothing against any strangers, unless your a bad lot and at that you'll find out just about every other one of the citizens of Dove Creek will be showing you what they're packing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread