Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found: 10/19/2010
Details: Today was my first day on this property. I was quickly losing daylight, so I only had two hours here today. In addition to this token, I also found a 1941 Wheatie, a brass finial, a 1963 Rosie and four modern Lincolns. Can't wait to put in a full day here - it has so much potential!

colorado token.jpg

This was found along the home's foundation at a depth of only one inch. At one time, this home took in boarders, which may explain how a token from Colorado ended up in this location.

What is a sales tax token?
Colorado used sales-tax tokens from Sept. 1, 1935,to Feb. 28, 1945, according to the American Numismatic Association. The tokens were used when Colorado established a sales tax of 2 percent and had to figure out how that would be paid in amounts less than 1 cent. Sales of 5 cents or less had no tax, 6 to 14 cents had one token, 15 to 24 cents two tokens, etc. Sales tax on 45 to 50 cents was a penny. The tokens were issued in huge numbers, first in aluminum and then plastic.

Happy Hunting!

~Indiana Digger~

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indiana Digger

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 4-H!

This house was built by my Great-great-great grandfather's brother way back in 1865.

There's something special waiting for me at this property...I just know it.

~Indiana Digger~

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ID. :icon_thumleft:
I love finding oddball things like that. I found an aluminum Louisiana tax token here in NC once and a bus token from Missouri.
Looking forward to seeing what else you pull from that spot.
-MM-
(Also a Hoosier)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread