Columbia possibly going to issue salvage permits ??

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Even if Columbia does issue salvage permits, will Spain claim the warships as soverign immune?

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Salvor6 said:
Even if Columbia does issue salvage permits, will Spain claim the warships as soverign immune?

Pete, since the new salvage laws are being written as we speak, anything can happen. I know that there are more knowledgeable people that view this board that can give you a better answer then I can. However, I was told that Columbia is looking to give the salvors a 50/50 split on silver, gold and emeralds and they will keep all of the other patrimony. :icon_pirat:

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
i just came from a convention in orlando,fl. for scuba divers and the reps for columbia REALLY want us there. looks like they are opening doors for us. i will be taking a trip there by the end of this year as a guest and get some diving and shipwreck exploring per the locals.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
scubaozzy said:
i just came from a convention in orlando,fl. for scuba divers and the reps for columbia REALLY want us there. looks like they are opening doors for us. i will be taking a trip there by the end of this year as a guest and get some diving and shipwreck exploring per the locals.

That's amazing!! I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
CanadianTrout said:
scubaozzy said:

That's amazing!! I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

yes i will..

Teredo Navalis

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scubaozzy,
What type of convention? Were other Central and South American "reps" present? When you read what is coming out in print from Colombia, it appears they are UNESCO lovers and state 95%-5%? Regards

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Teredo Navalis said:
Scubaozzy,
What type of convention? Were other Central and South American "reps" present? When you read what is coming out in print from Colombia, it appears they are UNESCO lovers and state 95%-5%? Regards
the covention is called DEMA. it is geared to dive retailers/travel/buyers. there are different travel locations thru-out the show. one of them was columbia..i got a chance to speak with the tourism director from columbia and a few of the locals and business owners from there.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:

Colombia did not sign the UNESCO Convention.

Teredo Navalis

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vox,
Very true, but remember, many ruling and elite in Colombia are Spanish descendants and they "make the rules". On the other side, multi-generation descendants from pre -Colombia ( "New Granada") detest the Spanish and loath their period of colonial rule, feeling they raped and pillaged their wealth and natural resources. If challenged, Colombia would not likely stand up to the Spanish.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Colombia is like Peru and Ecuador. They don't give a $hit about Spain's soverign warships, if a wreck is in their territorial waters they will claim it as their cultural heritage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread