Columbia: They are historic Galleon with shipment of gold valued at $10,000 million

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is translated..

Friday, December 4, 2015 - 22 h 27
They are historic Galleon with shipment of gold valued at $10,000 million
AP
Bogotá
Related news
"Gold of ethics" of Colombia will be used in Medal of the Nobel Peace Prize
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos announced Friday the discovery of the remains of the Galleon San Jose, a ship of the Spanish Empire in the 18th century that sank in the Caribbean Sea, loaded with gold and which was in dispute between the Colombian State and US companies finding underwater treasures.

"Great news: we found the Galleon San Jose!" Tomorrow I will give details at a press conference from Cartagena", wrote the President in his Twitter account, to note the finding that could be most sought and quoted from the Caribbean treasure.

Great news: we found the Galeón San José! Tomorrow I will give details at a press conference from Cartagena.
-Juan Manuel Santos (@JuanManSantos) December 4, 2015
The Spanish galleon was sunk by an attack by the British in 1708 when he arrived in Panama with 11 million gold and 600 people on board, and has remained more than 300 years submerged off the coast of Baru, Colombia, close to the islas del Rosario.

The wreck (remains of the wrecked ship) and their content of gold and precious stones millionaire has been a long-running dispute between Colombia and the American firm Sea Search that was resolved in the courts in favor of the South American country unless they had the exact coordinates of his location.

In October 2011, a Court of the District of Columbia in Washington, dismissed a lawsuit brought by Sea Search Armada, which claimed 17,000 billion for the alleged breach of a contract with the Colombian Government to recover the ship and its riches.

Loading of gold would have a value of nearly 10,000 million dollars, according to experts, and although several companies dedicated to the plundering of sunken treasures tried to search for it in the Caribbean, only so far his remains could be found Santos was announced. (I)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Perhaps it has been found, but I await visual proof of a sample to acknowledge that discovery--since others have made the same claim in the past.
If true, they may be able to pay part or all of their national debt: Colombia Debt Clock :: National Debt of Colombia
Don......
doc, thanks for the post.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Will Spain attempt to take this?

Finn

Nov 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will Spain attempt to take this?

The San Jose and other spanish wrecks in colombian waters was the main reason why Colombia did not ratify the UNESCO underwater cultural heritage agreement.

I have been told by insiders about the HEAVY WEIGHT lobbying from Spaniards during the cultural heritage agreement preparing.

Countries that did ratify the agreement are in week position now every time when a spanish wreck is been found from their territorial waters.

By the way, Finland who has thousands of wrecks too on their coast, didn't ratify it either. Their promised to follow it but did not sign.

Salud

Finn

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've heard, not all the Spanish gold was mined by Spain. No, Spain had valuable gold artifacts looted, from the Americas melted down for the metal, they destroyed the priceless gold artifacts. Cultural heritage they speak of, was made from recycled much older pillaged cultural heritage.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
GIB, Spain has no standing in Columbia's waters.
I was told by a well known treasure hunter today, that Columbia's ruling is a slap in the face to Spain and Unesco.

I've always wondered why more countries don't tell Spain to pound sand.

It's Mexican gold, Peruvian gold, Columbian gold...

Stolen gold.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from an article form 2007

Adding to this modern-day pirate drama is a mystery: Some question whether the ship has even been found.

In 1994, Colombia hired treasure hunter Tommy Thompson to verify Sea Search’s coordinates. Thompson, an American who has since disappeared allegedly with millions in investors’ loot from a previous deep-sea find, turned up nothing.

Another oceanographer, Mike Costin, who worked on a commercial submarine brought in by Sea Search for one of the company’s early, booze-filled expeditions, also has his doubts.
“We found something, but I don’t think it was the San Jose,” he said.
An underwater video taken of the alleged wreck in 1982 shows what looks like a corral reef-covered woodpile.

“But drink a glass of wine and it can look like almost anything,” said Tony Dyakowski, a Canadian treasure hunter based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Dyakowski claims to have uncovered sea logs that put the San Jose miles closer to the mainland.
Harbeston shrugs off his detractors, saying, “If everyone’s so sure it’s not down there, then why don’t they let us finish what we’ve started?”

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhh yep... Spain's going to try to steal the gold.

Again.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1994, Colombia hired treasure hunter Tommy Thompson to verify Sea Search’s coordinates....turned up nothing..

Looks like TT was working around..perhaps explains some of the cash?

Groups have been searching for the San Jose for decades. It would be interesting to look at the SSA data and see exactly how they determined it was the San Jose.
There are many, many cases of Admiralty Arrests and claims of identification that have not proven to be correct.

While not applicable, quite a few recently have been shown to be fraudulent claims, as noted in this forum...

From the article, it appears Spain has approached Columbia in an amiable way, and given Spain's latest interest in search/recovery, this would be a very lucrative and archaeologically significant venture between the two countries.

Time to evolve, or become a casualty of evolution.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Spain has approached Columbia in an amiable way,

I just read a book, Brutal Journey where in the 1500's Spain approached Florida in an amiable way. They landed here in St. Petersburg looking for gold. When the local indians didn't respond to the request (read in Spanish) to hand over the gold and become christians they were immediately slaughtered.

The Spaniards captured one and sent him back to his tribe with his cut off hands hanging around his neck to show the others they were enslaved.

When they still didn't understand Spanish they roasted another guy over a fire (just one side, and only until he blistered up) so he could limp back to the tribe to tell them they were enslaved and to hand over the gold.

It was a very interesting book.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
...this would be a very lucrative and archaeologically significant venture between the two countries.

Rest assured, Spain isn't really concerned with the latter. If it wasn't lucrative, they wouldn't be interested at all.

GreenHiker

Jul 8, 2010
GA, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Garrett
Columbia's "partners" on the San Jose found them the wreck and then got thrown out.

Spain now wants to partner with Columbia to recover and document the finds? Sounds like a match made in heaven. I hope both sides get what they deserve. Ha Ha.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope Columbia tells Spain to shove it.

If Spain sent people and resources, or even paid for others to search for their so called assets they could argue they have a claim.

If Spain believes it belongs to them I hope Columbia starts looking for recompense for the safe storage of a few billion for 300 years, a bill for littering their seabed with junk, a charge for theft, and a bill for polluting the sea with heavy metals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread