Coming to West Virginia

• Thread starter michigan michael
  • Start date
M

michigan michael

A huge hello from Michigan! The wife and I are planning a trip to West Virginia very soon. We are just going to hop in the car and head that way and see what we find. We plan on doing a great deal of detecting on this trip so if anybody could offer some nice areas to visit, Metal detect, and take breath taking photos that would be great! Maybe some of you could even post some picks of your state so we can have some ideas of what to expect. A huge thanks from up north!

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Just checking back in and seen zero response. 11 views but no replies. Ok, second question............
In addition to locations spots and or photos etc. are there any areas banned there? I am assuming state parks there are probably off limits?????? Any must see sites? any? anyone in WV ? :D lol Well hopefully someone will shower us with info. Thanks and happy hunting! :D

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
There are several websites that have beautiful pictures of the wonders of WV that are available to the public as tourists .
I think the approach of 'Hey,y'all I'm comin' over for supper ; what'cha fixen was abrupt enough that we will have to ruminate a bit .
Expecting a reply in less than 24 hours is a little precipitate .

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

truckinbutch said:
There are several websites that have beautiful pictures of the wonders of WV that are available to the public as tourists .
I think the approach of 'Hey,y'all I'm comin' over for supper ; what'cha fixen was abrupt enough that we will have to ruminate a bit .
Expecting a reply in less than 24 hours is a little precipitate .

WOW! :icon_scratch: Ahh sorry? I was just excited about heading out that way........I was just looking for a lil incite as what to expect down there. As far as the replies, I noticed there was not that many posts in the WV category. I see replies everywhere else with in hours. I seen another michigan post in the WV with 200 plus read and zero replies. :icon_scratch: As far as your comment about hey yall I am coming over for dinner ? What is that about? I dont really know where the problem is I was happy, excited, and trying to start a friendly topic, meet some new folks and learn some area history. I obviously ticked you off somehow and I'm sorry. I did not mean any harm. :-\

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Your post didn't tick me off and I'm sorry if you feel that way . The long term residents are ,by nature , a bit standoffish . We have suffered both northern and southern invasions in the past .
The tone of your post reflected 'Here I am , what can you do for me '.
Here we are and we have a treasure trove of tourist available attractions for the public . Getting into the private sector has a lot more to do with getting here and then getting to know the folks in the area you wish to explore in depth .

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

ok, That makes scenes. You are right. I did not mean for my post to come off that way but, I guess it does. No hard feeling. Still looking forward to checking out your state. Will be doing a lot of photography too. :D Not just a detecting get away. The wife wont allow only detecting. ;D Take care Truckinbutch!

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hey MEM MAG, Don't worry, I have lived here for 7 years now and I am still an outsider. Much of the land here is owned by the ancestors of the original settlers, so truckinbutch was right about getting to know the folks. The lay of the land and the roadways here are a wonder in themselves, as WV is truly the only state that is considered 100% mountainous. If a giant were to step on WV and squash it flat, it would be the biggest state in the U.S. ;D. I have found it more difficult to detect here myself, compared to where I used to live. The eastern region of the state is a favorite of mine because of the taller mountains, caves, fishing, camping, rivers, pine trees, and overall scenery. Pines are fairly sparse in the western parts. Most of these folks here have never seen a porcupine.

Just do a search online for WV attractions, tourism, vacations. You will find info on scenic routes and natural attractions.

My son is in Michigan and I have run the route many times. You can go right through the Ohio Amish country and that is a great area to see also.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with the trip!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
You explained it better than I did , ME . Thank you .

MEM : Hospitality is still the principal language spoken here . There are just dialectal nuances that must be mastered .
Enjoy our wonderful state and if you find a particular area of interest post it here . Likely you will find someone here that can assist you in getting more in depth .
Jim

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
So far, all the replies are typically West Virginian. We have been belittled for our heritage since the mountains were settled, so it takes quite a while to get "really sociable and accepted".
However,there is no greater beauty to be found in the USA short of the Grand Canyon (maybe).
Main attraction here is THE NEW RIVER GORGE : National river: definitely NO detectin' for 1000 ft either side of the water. State Parks also off limits. National Forests off limits.
New River is a must see as well as the white water rafting. Even if you don't do the rafting, it's still fun to watch.
Detecting in itself will probably amount to coin shooting, etc; in public places unless you're interested in Civil War relics. There's plenty of those yet to be found, but it'll take some research. I personally have a very small property smack on the troop travel route, but doubt there's anything worth while buried here, but WV is steeped in Civil War history that's been glossed over or completely ommitted from major history books which focus mostly on the Virginia theater of things.
Whatever you choose to do in this state, I'm sure you will enjoy it and wish you had ten times the time to spend here. It takes a life time to sample a small portion of it.

Muddy Treats

Mar 28, 2009
Where The Rivers Meet, WV
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in the Parkersburg area you should check out Blennerhassett Island and Fort Boreman. They are pretty cool sites. Only crummy part about them is you can't metal detect them. There is alot of history here ( I live right across the ohio river from parkersburg, wv). I recommend you guys checking out Marietta, Ohio too. Full of rich history! Wherever you go i hope you have a good time!

Take me home country roads! :)

Mudpie

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2005
Clarksburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Dual Field
The winter camp across from Glen Ferris is not off limits...just ask the property owner for permission.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Hi everyone! Thanks for the leads and info on the laws there. Marietta OH. huh? Might have to stop by there on the way. There is nothing like a road trip without a real destination. Just explore and take it all in. I cant wait to to make it out there. Thanks again everyone! :)

Muddy Treats

Mar 28, 2009
Where The Rivers Meet, WV
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Hi everyone! Thanks for the leads and info on the laws there. Marietta OH. huh? Might have to stop by there on the way. There is nothing like a road trip without a real destination. Just explore and take it all in. I cant wait to to make it out there. Thanks again everyone! :)

Sounds like a blast, have fun! Yes please check out Marietta, Ohio. It's the oldest city in Ohio. This is where the Northwest Territory began. This is also Indian country....indian mounds everywhere! Are there mounds in Mich?

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Muddy Treats said:
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:

Sounds like a blast, have fun! Yes please check out Marietta, Ohio. It's the oldest city in Ohio. This is where the Northwest Territory began. This is also Indian country....indian mounds everywhere! Are there mounds in Mich?
;D
Cant wait! getting excited about oh too.
When I was a kid we had a wooded area across the creek from our house. I played back there a lot! We had mounds back there! We built tee pees and camped there all the time. I done research and narrowed down part of the Macon tribe was in the area. I was heart broke when I found the area bull dozed. :angry5: I would of thought places like that would be protected. I guess its the land owners choice.

OBXhistorybuff

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2006
I am in Southern WV... In the New River Gorge Area... Lots of interesting places to see, and history to boot.

Relic hunting in old mining areas is a lot of fun, Civil War relics are all around. Not many "battles" but a lot of troop movements and camps all around.

Keep us posted on when you are coming and where you are headed. Beckley, Fayetteville, Hinton and Lewisburg are all good!

K

Kentucky Kache

Check out Hurricane. You'll be blown away.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. I headed out that way and did not make it there. I spent the night in Hocking Hills OHIO and started having car troubles. We stayed there 4 days and explored the cliffs and caves. We done a little detecting but, not much. Anyway ran a lil low on cash and headed back to Michigan. I still plan on making it to your beautiful state soon.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hocking Hills wasn't a bad place to spend time, was it? Hope you got to see it all.. Old Man's Cave, Rock House, Conkle's Hollow, the fat woman's squeeze... a lot more than that. (would have fixed your vehicle for you, had I known)

Next time, let us know how far you plan to go and how much time you have. There's so much to see in WV, you have to budget your time if you're on a schedule.

I'm in Parkersburg, so as mentioned, Blennerhassett Island, Fort Boreman, and don't forget to stop by the Oil and Gas Museum close by, Fenton Art Glass in Williamstown....

Besides, the other great suggestions earlier:

Spruce Knob- Highest point in WV

Blackwater Falls

Jennings Randolph Lake- take your picture at the Waffle Rock

Canaan Valley- ride the ski lift in the off season

Seneca Rocks- Hike the easy trail, ride a rented horse, or climb straight up the face over 900 feet to view the valley below from the observation deck, if you're up to it, you can "step beyond the realm of the hiker" and walk out onto peaks. (don't miss the General Store)

Dolly Sods

Bahre Rocks (or Bear Rocks)

Smoke Hole Caverns and..(what's the other one...Seneca Caverns?)

Cass Scenic Railroad

Green Bank Observatory

Droop Mountain Battlefield

Greenbrier Resort- I think they let you tour the doomsday bunker now that it's not secret anymore

Exhibition Coal Mine- at Beckley

Hawk's Nest State Park

Summersville Lake- rent a houseboat, pontoon, etc. Nice clear water for scuba.

(what's that place? the Vortex Cabin? no.. mmm... the place where gravity is warped)

Bridge Day at the New River Gorge- you'll never forget watching the base jumpers and walking the bridge, if you can't make that day, you'll never forget the view from the observation deck

Didn't even cover half the great spots, did I ?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
No ya didn't . Even so you gave a stranger enough to cover retirement years . A simple vacation trip couldn't even scratch the surface of that list .
Listing the other more than half would only intimidate the meek .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread