Comment, a sample, then a question

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
First, a comment, then my reason for posting, that is, a question.

Here in Mexico (rural Puebla) I have been investigating my wife's ancestry. I have come up with some old photos. The 1902 photo of a family member my wife knew before the old lady died, another 1897, because she wrote the date on the back.

A photo we believe was around 1890, because the young girl was known, and we had a 1922 picture of her, thus estimated her age as a girl.

Also, a 1908 or earlier picture post card of this village, hopefully posted here before and after.

Some of these pictures are in bad shape. Most I can fix with my editor. I am a Linux user, so I use GIMP, the free editor. It doesn't work the same as Photoshop, but it is free, which works well for my budget. I think it's available for Windows, but am not interested, of course. :laughing9:

I can also change format, to make small pictures big, and big pictures small, etc.

I just found a plug-in which was designed for the color fade of photographs, and automatically adjusts, based on known fade characteristics. There is a slider which lets you determine the approximate amount of fading based on estimated age of the picture. All free. Okay, so I am tight.

When old-timers admit they have old photos of family, I take my scanner and laptop to their house, scan them, edit out defects, and present copies to the original owners, then ask permission to give copies to other family members.

In some cases, I also get permission to give 10X15 copies to the directora of the Cultural House, a government paid job which includes area history issues. It is a great retirement hobby, and doesn't cost a great amount, except work.

I have found that people like the pictures of women of times past, changed to sepia. Don't know why, but they do. Also, with my lack of experience, once in a while the change to sepia 'fixes' certain types of damage.

This sample of my work is a perfect example of using sepia to cover sharp texture errors. There may be other ways to do this, but it would take someone with more knowledge than I have to do it. This project took me around 12 hours, all in one day. The post card said 1908, but it may have been printed at an earlier date. The directora's eyes almost popped out of their sockets when she saw the edited result. I acted like, of course, I can do that, but I was more surprised than she was how well it came out.

Attachments

• 0173a.jpg
    0173a.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 0173Sepia4X6.jpg
    0173Sepia4X6.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 0173a.jpg
    0173a.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 0173Sepia4X6.jpg
    0173Sepia4X6.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 245
OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Now, my question. I have a very clear memory of an article in a magazine, showing some old Civil War photos, found stored in a museum somewhere, and forgotten about for a long time. I cannot remember which magazine, but it seems like it may have been a magazine called Smithsonian, which brings up the possibility that is where the photos were found after being forgotten for so long.

The article as I remember it, said the photos were taken with a different process, which meant they could be enlarged to an extreme amount, because there was no grain in the process.

My best friend here said that wasn't possible, the photo process ALWAYS had grain. She said it could be enlarged only because they used a large film size. I certainly cannot dispute her word, because she is one fantastically smart woman, as well as being very pleasant, she is more like the world's best sister than a friend. And, she did work at a photo place in the 70's before she married.

So, this is not a case of proving her wrong. It's like a memory failure test. What she says makes all the sense in the world, but I have such a clear memory of that article saying they had no grain due to a different process.

Is it even possible my memory could be correct?

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
http://www.boerner.net/jboerner/?p=11853

This and other sources said wet plate collodion was grainless, and it was used for negatives.

This is like the computer that works when the repairman comes, sigh. I tried and tried to find this several months ago, and now that I asked, I find the answer quickly. So, thanks to treasurenet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread