Common courtesy, etiquette, and technique go ALONG WAY

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been detecting all of a couple of months but I jumped into the hobby head first and obsessively. I am a jeeper. Meaning I take my jeep offroading and rock crawling. About 6 months ago while watching some show on Gold hunting I thought to myself, "Hey I like to go to where these guys go to find gold, I'm relatively fit, and have time to do it on my days off." So I bought a dry washer, a hand held gps, gold pans, shovels, picks, blah blah oh and a metal detector. I got all into the desert dry panning thing. I went on a couple of outings but living in San Diego, the gold was about a 150 mile ea way drive. At 14 mpg at best it wasn't exactly practical. Then after a round trip to Quartzsite my jeeps engine started acting up so now its down time for the desert prospecting season. Since I live near the beach I thought I'd take advantage of it. I took my Garrett AT Gold to the beach never thinking I'd ever take it there, knowing that it cant salt water hunt. It did pretty good in the sand but near the water it was a joke. Frustrated and with about 50 cents per hr I moved to parks, soccer fields, and recreational areas.
After reading many articles on techniques on cutting the soil, pin pointing, when and where to go at a park I think I'm getting pretty good at it. The basis of this little rant is to just say to you new(er) guys, don't go into a playground area when people are in there w/their kids, don't cut plugs all crappy like and not even attempt to fix it and keep the trash you pull and throw it away at a later time. Be nice to anyone who is curious or talkative, wave and smile to attendants (that goes a long way)..... Try to go during off-peak hrs and leave as small a foot print as possible.
Last week I went to my favorite spot and there was another guy there detecting. Ok, so what. It's all good. Except that he was cutting plugs about 1 to 2 inches deep and not repairing it before he moved on. Should I say something? He was a noob. But so am I. He said he wasn't finding anything and was kinda cocky about it so I didn't say anything. What I did was follow near him and used proper technique with swing, speed, step and pinpoint. I then dug my plug and put it back w/VERY little evidence. He saw me the whole time pull a quarter that he literally just missed. Maybe that'll teach him somehthing w/o me having to act like a know it all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread