Communication

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone still write letters or is it that you only send emails?
Do you still send Greeting, Christmas, Birthday cards? Or "E-Cards?"
Before the computer age, there was no other option.

Handwritten letters of relatives and friends from the past should never be discarded...
Some handwritten letters, especially from war zones are valuable.

Another aspect of communication are phones.
What changes that I've seen in my lifetime!

I remember phones that have a crank on the side, then "rotary dials," then push-button, then cordless, then "cell" phones! I've an unflattering story regarding a "Party Line...."

Goodness! I just found out the other day that the cell phone that I've had for 3 years can also take pictures!
What's next?

But, there's something about the closeness and the "personal touch"
that I feel is inherent with "the old way of communicating."

Does anyone have similar memories or experiences?

Best Wishes,
Scott

F

Felinepeachy

I remember being able to call the POPCORN lady to find out the time. They did away with that a few years ago. I still miss it LOL.

Do they still sell pagers? I don't see them anymore. wonder what happened to them. I guess the cell phone pushed pagers down the road.

I still send cards, sometimes for no reason. :tongue3:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Do they still sell pagers? I don't see them anymore. wonder what happened to them. I guess the cell phone pushed pagers down the road.

I still send cards, sometimes for no reason. :tongue3:

Peachy,
I think that pagers are the "8 Track Tapes" of the communication era.
Seems that only drug dealers and Doctors used them and the Government (and drug dealers) found them to be too easy to trace/track. (Don't ask how I know....)

And,
Yes, you can send me a card or letter anytime! Just PM me for my Address.... :laughing7:
I promise to reply in "the old fashioned way!" :hello2: :hello:

I just had a thought...
I've made more friends from all over the world,
Here on Tnet, than I would have made any other way.
And to have gained and be able to communicate with these friends,
it's been through the internet and all...Hmmmm...

Perhaps, I have too much time on my hands... :dontknow:

Best,
Scott​

S

Smee

Yeah, I still write (in longhand) about 15-20 letters each month to certain ones of our customers where I work. I personally thank those customers who have paid out an account in the last 30 days and make them a PERSONAL offer or special deal. Why do I do it? Because it is the way things used to, and still should, be done. Nothing like getting a hand addressed, handwritten thank you to grab a customer's attention.

Remember when all the local merchants in small towns used to do things like that? I do.

Don't know of any reason for them to stop other than the laziness induced by the age of computers.

I do have a selfish reason as well for writing those letters by hand. I love to get compliments on my handwriting. I've spent the last 50 or so years perfecting it.

Once, a person who was unhappy with the lack of speed in approving her credit, accused my late Boss of running the store like he was still living in Mayberry (he had a slight resemblance to Andy Griffith). All he did was give her one of the biggest grins I ever saw and thanked her for noticing. It made him really happy when I took the initiative to write those personal letters for his company.

It also added to our sales in a noticeable way.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still send cards. I don't really have anybody to write to, and it's more convenient to call them on the phone and visit. A land line. I do not own a cell phone. Face it, I'm one of the last few people left around that you just can't get ahold of immediately right this instant. I will get back to you when I can, or feel like it, after I think about it. I do not understand having 'trust the computer' bein shoved down my throat in the workplace these days, because really, that computer is no smarter than what you told it to do, and just how smart are you? I do like the internet thing as a communication thing, though. My step-son in Guadalajara MX talked me into openin a facebook account. I can write letters, make phone calls and leave messages, and never hear back from the kids. Post a message on fb, about 10 seconds later they're responding. It's their medium, so I use it.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to send alot of cards. Now I only send select few wonderful relatives and friends and always include a family pic for the holidays in each card. handwritten note inside saying how our year was and wishing them a wonderful holiday etc.

I don't mind 'new communication'. It is what is happening in the world....but yes, a handwritten, mailed the old fashioned way note or card shows you took true time to think of that person...so it has a special meaning still.

I am also in the 'group' of the people you can not get ahold of in a flash. no cell phone here. I hate them. had 2 and let them lapse. hubby loves his. I like to call him but he can't get me ever :laughing7: I screen calls on my answering machine also, cause I might not want to talk at that time. :tongue3:

modern technology is everywhere...but you do not have to use it :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions