Compacted river gravel in Knights Ferry, CA, how old is it and is there gold?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Knights Ferry this weekend and it was a nice place to visit, lots of people though so pretty crowded as everyone wants to get outside nowadays after the covid lockdown. About 200 feet away from the Stanislaus River there was a huge amount of compacted gravel full of round, river worn rocks which was up to 20 feet above the ground. They were so packed together I couldn't even get any of the big stones loose, is this millions of years old??

Sadly it's against the law to dig it up to pan for gold, especially with a ranger patrolling the area who wasted no time ticketing cars there too so I didn't want to risk getting caught. Would this kind of gravel contain lots of gold though? Or is this area not likely to have much since it's far away from the mountains?

IMAG0502.jpg IMAG0505.jpg IMAG0506.jpg

Upvote 0

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't dig for gold at Knights Ferry anymore?

A simple google search.

Panning is allowed in Knights Ferry and at Tulloch Lake Road Fishing Access, both controlled by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, on the Stanislaus River but only if trowels and pans are used. Panning must be located within two feet of the water's edge.

Not sure if there is a size limit on the trowel

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, there is gold . the area was placered early and dredges ran nearby. Same era of gravels dredged at all the openings of the foothills all up and down the valley.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those dredge tailings still have gold that their sluices lost. And from what I understand they lost quite a lot.
It wont be as productive as virgin ground but there should be at least some gold to be found in them.

GG~

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If legal, try panning the loose stuff that's sluffed down to the bottom of the bank.
Hard packed/concreted means unseached.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread