doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting this tabman, really do appreciate your experience and words on the Mojave.

I hear what you are saying, but pull out that good old Compadre of yours and tell me the comparison you have not seen in a while compared to the great Mojave has to offer, I know I am still weighing the differences, but as Tesoro has stated from coast to coast with regards to its Ground mineralization option...would the the Compadre for me not be good enough to the Vaq I already own? I see you still have your Compadre and for those who own one why would they give it up even if they own a Mojave even for it's price and life time warranty, sincerely a no brainer to keep in ones arsenal, heck most Tesoro lovers have 5 or more Tesoro anways under there belt why give a proven detector to replace for the Mojave they already own, no disgrace to Tesoro and not saying a guy from your caliber indeed tabman as I have read alot of your posts.... I believe you, but the Compadre is a great heck of a machine for what it can do for sensitivity and it's value, would you disagree? And sure you would not give your Compadre up as others may have?? A heck of a go to machine wouldn't you think?

I am sure the Mojave is hot machine and for it's price and may out perform the Compadre not questioning this, especialy as you say on nails makes sense and may have it's advantanges in some areas over the Compadre no question.

For all you Tesoro fans, if I were to use a Compadre I am sure I would becoming a Church of the Compadre user why would I not consider of owning and believing in a proven detector over the years in being a good companion, and deserve it's place and brotherhood with my Vaquero?

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently got a Mojave, it finds metal I grant that.
Wish it had a pinpointer, was digging some crater sized holes looking for objects and had to stop as it was an active play field.
I get the principle of wagging it around to try to zero in on where to dig but man o man, can't keep going on digging these trenches when I am used to nice neat plugs.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shouldn't be too difficult. Unless its a large target you do very short sweeps closer to wiggling left to right until you're centered over it then back and gorthsame way. Should be able to pinpoint it down to about 3"

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just joined the Church of the Compadre, so let it be written, so let it be done.

HH.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently got a Mojave, it finds metal I grant that.
Wish it had a pinpointer, was digging some crater sized holes looking for objects and had to stop as it was an active play field.
I get the principle of wagging it around to try to zero in on where to dig but man o man, can't keep going on digging these trenches when I am used to nice neat plugs.

Well friend, that is what a hand pin pointer is for. Sometimes, aluminum and other junk will actually locate off to the side, and not exactly where the COIL pin points. A hand pin pointer helps in this regard.

Also, in these situations, having a quick all-metal mode to flip to will reveal those off center targets, but the Mojave does not have that feature, it is after all a $251 detector, and while it doesn't have everything, it has a lot for its price, IMHO.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well friend, that is what a hand pin pointer is for. Sometimes, aluminum and other junk will actually locate off to the side, and not exactly where the COIL pin points. A hand pin pointer helps in this regard.

Also, in these situations, having a quick all-metal mode to flip to will reveal those off center targets, but the Mojave does not have that feature, it is after all a $251 detector, and while it doesn't have everything, it has a lot for its price, IMHO.

Not at all, I have hand held pinpointers.
A machine pinpointer is for nailing the initial location, which could be anything from surface to 6". Handheld is for final recovery, 2 very different things.
Machines with pinpointers I am very accurate, rarely ever having to enlarge the hole, this thing I am all over the place - And that is because every target is a constant best guess where it is, a pinpointer removes the guess work [and also very handy for locating deep targets at the edge of the machines detection range].
You can say "Well its priced cheap, what do you expect?", but there are cheaper machines with this feature. I assumed it had one, LCD I can live without, no pinpointer would have been a deal breaker for me.

Is what it is, maybe I'll improve with practice but I'll have to practice somewhere were I don't mind digging craters.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Not sure what is the problem, maybe just practice?
From day one using my Compadre I was dead on pinpointing everything using small side to side swipes with the coil listening to the tone.
Most describe pinpointing with a Compadre as easy and laser-like.
Same with my Vaquero with most coils but especially the sniper.
I rarely hit that pinpoint button on the Vaq, never needed it on the Compadre.
I assume the Mojave will be similar when I get mine.

I did have this problem with my first detector, a BH unit bought from Wallyworld that I think was a second and definitely had a problem with the coil because it was cross-eyed.
Targets were always 2" higher and 2" to the left of where it said it was on every target.
It was used so I just adapted to it over time but it sure was a hassle learning the hobby with a tool that did this.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mojave is just lime all other Tesoros, very easy to pinpoint with just a quick side to side, back and forth method. Once you get used it, you will be popping exact plugs. Keep practicing.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an easier time pinpointing with my Compadre then I do with my Explorer. I wiggle left to right, then do a 90° turn, wiggle again, and where the wiggling meets, I dig. Occasionally I have to wiggle forward and back to see where the signal disappears in relation to the coil edges, but even then it works wonders. Trouble with the Explorer is when there are other junk targets (or even good targets) nearby. I end up having to clear out the junk. No need to do that with the Compadre.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Have not been out yet with the Mojave, but I never need a pinpoint feature with the Outlaw or Golden micromax, so I didn't think one necessary for a seven inch coil on the Mojave. Just criss cross and there it is. Hoping for a Vaquero or Tejon by summers end and even there, the point point feature will only be used the hear the target in all metal.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mojave is just lime all other Tesoros, very easy to pinpoint with just a quick side to side, back and forth method. Once you get used it, you will be popping exact plugs. Keep practicing.

I've been practicing popping coins in the park with a screwdriver.
Managed a quarter, nickel and a couple pennies without even using my pro pointer yesterday.
Tesoros pinpoint like a dream. They'll stop on a dime and give you 5 cents change.

Noah

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadre B/O, :( , going to have to wait few distributors are out of stock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread