compadre vs silver umax

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen videos of the compadre hitting on gold the silver umax could not even see. So I know the compadre is better on gold then the silver umax. I've read it is the circuitry and also the higher 12khz in the compadre that gets the hits on gold.

But I was wondering if the compadre hits silver as good as the silver umax? Or would the silver umax find silver deeper where it is lower on the khz. 10khz compared to the 12khz of the compadre.
Or would they be equal in this department(finding silver)? If so what advantage does the silver have over the compadre other then the sensitivity knob?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This video looks like the compadre is even picking up silver better?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a lot posted about the Compadre but my experience wasn't all that grand. I've had both the Silver uMax and the Compadre with the 8" & two with the 5.75.

My first Compadre had the 5.75" coil but when I posted about the poor depth and not being as sensitive to small gold as my AT Pro I was told I needed the 8". I bought another Compadre with the 8" and it got a little more depth but still was not that great for small gold. Then I was told the 5.75" coil was the best so thinking maybe I had a bum one the first time I bought another Compadre with the 5.75" coil and it was the same as the first. My AT Pro just simply eat its lunch on small gold. I hunt a lot of tot lots. Then I was told my battery was low. It had a brand new battery. Then in the end I was told what did I expect I was comparing $150 detector to a $600 detector. I came to the conclusion the Compadre was a great detector, for the money, but it wasn't all that and a bucket of cheese when it came to small gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a lot posted about the Compadre but my experience wasn't all that grand. I've had both the Silver uMax and the Compadre with the 8" & two with the 5.75.

My first Compadre had the 5.75" coil but when I posted about the poor depth and not being as sensitive to small gold as my AT Pro I was told I needed the 8". I bought another Compadre with the 8" and it got a little more depth but still was not that great for small gold. Then I was told the 5.75" coil was the best so thinking maybe I had a bum one the first time I bought another Compadre with the 5.75" coil and it was the same as the first. My AT Pro just simply eat its lunch on small gold. I hunt a lot of tot lots. Then I was told my battery was low. It had a brand new battery. I cane to the conclusion the Compadre was a great detector, for the money, but it wasn't all that when it came to small gold.

Not trying to compare the two to a at pro.

And I don't have a silver umax to compare to my compadre. I was just going by the video.

What will the silver umax do that the compadre cant?
We can see what the compadre can do that the silver can not by the video.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What will the silver umax do that the compadre cant?

Other than being able to adjust sensitivity, in the case of interference or such, probably nothing. I've seen it posted that the Compadre has some different circuitry than the Silver. Good, bad or indifferent I couldn't say.

I a full feature guy in case you couldn't tell by my choice of detectors LOL. Tesoro just never fit my needs. I tried the Compadre thinking it would make a killer tot lot detector being so small and light. The depth just wasn't to my needs.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beg to differ with the above - the ability to change coils is a great plus as well as the adjustable senstivity and the ability to toggle into all metal without disturbing the discrimination setting is worth quite a bit IMHO.
BB

OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beg to differ with the above - the ability to change coils is a great plus as well as the adjustable senstivity and the ability to toggle into all metal without disturbing the discrimination setting is worth quite a bit IMHO.
BB

That's a good point. Forgot about the coil change.

But in the video the guy tried changing the sensativity and even switching to all metals on the silver and still could not pick up what the compadre was getting a good hit on.

I'd hate to pay $260 for a detector and have a $100 less detector come behind me and get what I just missed. All bells and whistles aside. It comes down to buying a detector to find the goods Right?

I was just curious if I was missing something about what the silver may detect better then the compadre. Why don't they make a us version compadre with external sensitivity and removable coil option? Sales on the silver would drop off, maybe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ability to toggle into all metal without disturbing the discrimination setting is worth quite a bit IMHO.
BB

So when yours beeps you just dig? You don't try to thumb the knob to see where the object falls on the discrimination dial?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compadre uses ed180 disc circuit. ..the silver uses ed120. The only other Tesoro to use the ed180 is the Tejon. The ed180 I believe to be superior. The benefits of the Silver are: changeable coils. ..sense adjust...and a switch to go from all metal to disc quickly. All metal adds 1 inch depth on most u.s. coins. Overall the Silver would be my choice if it were my only machine; however, having other machines I would take the Compadre for its cleaner disc and slightly higher frequency. And to answer the Silver

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the silver coin question. ..I see no benefits of the silver umax when compared with same coils.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To further explain the difference in the ed180 and ed120 discs....the 180 gives a "bigger" range than the 120. Meaning that you have more distance between a nickel and a pulltab that falls very close to the nickel. This is just one example. It is like comparing digital machines that have a numeric target id of 1-99 to one that only has 1-60. The one with 1-99 will be able to id, say...a nickel more accurately.

OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All metal adds 1 inch depth on most u.s. coins.

I would agree with you there but in the video the guy put the silver in all metal mode (which the compadre has too, only on the knob,so by rights they should still be equal depth wise?as they both have all metal mode.) And the compadre was in discrimination at the foil mark and the compadre detected the metal and the silver wouldn't really.

Don't get me wrong I like the features the silver has but you would think it would perform as good or better then the compadre, at least detecting something the compadre wouldnt. But it seems the other way around. Weird.

Last edited:

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have not used neither one. but have seen and heard that the compadre can get up next to large metal objects like fences, posts, etc. with no problems. i cant get within 16-18 inches without my vaquero going off. i'd say if you want to upgrade from the compadre. go right to a vaquero or the tejon. that way you have one with all that you need on it. im pleased with the vaq and have no need for another detector anytime soon or even, ever. it is just one of my hobbies. so, no need for a bunch of them. just one decent one is good enough for me.

OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have not used neither one. but have seen and heard that the compadre can get up next to large metal objects like fences, posts, etc. with no problems. i cant get within 16-18 inches without my vaquero going off. i'd say if you want to upgrade from the compadre. go right to a vaquero or the tejon. that way you have one with all that you need on it. im pleased with the vaq and have no need for another detector anytime soon or even, ever. it is just one of my hobbies. so, no need for a bunch of them. just one decent one is good enough for me.

I was just curious about the silver. Thought it might pick up something the compadre doesnt. But I guess it doesnt.

now after I get done reading the ebook on the Vaquero and the tejon I may have to get a vaquero. Very good read and informative. I like anolog.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is...you might do the same test with two different machines and get different results. Tesoros come "hotter" from the factory sometimes. I seen a "hot" Silver Umax one time that was 2 inches deeper on a quarter than mine. Personally I like the compadre with the small coil for the jewelry hunting that I do in trashy parks.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So when yours beeps you just dig? You don't try to thumb the knob to see where the object falls on the discrimination dial?
Depends on the particular place and hunt. If I feel like cherry picking I set the disc to just pick up clad and silver. Often when I'm more ambitious or have more time, I'll cruise with the disc a bit below nickel, then thumb the knob when I get a signal to see if/where it crackles out and decide to dig or not from this. I'd like to see more Tesoros with the dual discrimination as the Tejon has so you can quickly determine what range a target is, or not, in.
BB

OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the particular place and hunt. If I feel like cherry picking I set the disc to just pick up clad and silver. Often when I'm more ambitious or have more time, I'll cruise with the disc a bit below nickel, then thumb the knob when I get a signal to see if/where it crackles out and decide to dig or not from this. I'd like to see more Tesoros with the dual discrimination as the Tejon has so you can quickly determine what range a target is, or not, in.
BB

So then the all metal switch really is not that important then. If your cherry picking you wont need it because your going to have the discrimination cranked to get just coins. And when your not your going to thumb the knob anyway. So all metals on the discriminaton knob would work the same for you As the switch on the silver.

OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is...you might do the same test with two different machines and get different results. Tesoros come "hotter" from the factory sometimes. I seen a "hot" Silver Umax one time that was 2 inches deeper on a quarter than mine. Personally I like the compadre with the small coil for the jewelry hunting that I do in trashy parks.

Well the guy in that video should hang on to that compadre. Because it looks like one hot unit.. ;-)

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just curious about the silver. Thought it might pick up something the compadre doesnt. But I guess it doesnt.

now after I get done reading the ebook on the Vaquero and the tejon I may have to get a vaquero. Very good read and informative. I like anolog.

well, i got a vaquero. when this snow melts and if we get together and go. i will let you try it. i tell ya though. have been out with a guy that has a ace 350 and another with a bounty hunter 505. it is better than either of those. but the ace 350 will read a large galvanized washer as iron. where as my vaq gets the nice tone and will disc out high though. haha.

OP
OP
W

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, i got a vaquero. when this snow melts and if we get together and go. i will let you try it. i tell ya though. have been out with a guy that has a ace 350 and another with a bounty hunter 505. it is better than either of those. but the ace 350 will read a large galvanized washer as iron. where as my vaq gets the nice tone and will disc out high though. haha.

Totally interested in getting together. Just hit me up when your ready.we got each other on fb. Just drop me a line anytime..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread