Comparing BH Quick Silver and Garrett Ace 250

greenwyvern

Apr 11, 2014
Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 & Delta 4000 & Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this in the Garrett forum but got only one answer. Is a Garrett Ace 250 a big improvement over a Quick Silver? I have a QS now and it is an ok beginner's machine. Money is tight for me so before making a $212 investment I thought some of you might give me an idea. Yes I know there are much better machines but the 250 is in my price range. But if it isn't that much better than a QS then I would like to save the money. Of course I want an AT....but it is out of the question. Just simple answers like "not enough difference for the money" or "yes it would be worth your money to upgrade" will be fine.
Thanks,

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imho the EurotekPro is the best and newest $200 range machine out there at the moment.

The Garrett 250 design is near 10 years old I believe.

Lot of reading out there if you search for Garrett 250 vs Eurotek Pro.....

Bounty Hunter, Fisher, Teknetics all the same company now.

Garrett warranty two years, Teknetics five year warranty.

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
You sound like you're mind is made up for a Garrett machine. I have never owned a Quick Silver, but I do own a Tracker IV and as I understand things with Bounty Hunter, these are of the same similar format. I have owned the 250 and a 350 and I have a problem with the bell tone on Garrett machines. I've used the AT and a AT gold, same problem with the tones, but this is a personal problem, no fault of the detector. The Quick Silver is an ultra beginning unit, your depth on a good day will be 6" with 3-4" being an average. I luv my Tracker IV but wanted more depth. I will say the Tracker IV has worked in some areas that some White's, and Garrett machines would not. If you have a Big 5 in your area, I would recommend the Fortune hunter or the Elite 2200 both made by Bounty Hunter both can be had on sale for around $135 and both machines are more capable than the QS. If you want to stay in the $200 league I would recommend the Fisher F-2 the Teknetics Alpha, Delta, Euro Tech and Euro Tech pro. If you want to stay in-expensive and like Garrett, there is nothing wrong with the Garrett Ace 150 for around $150. Now my personal recommendation and advice, I have seen and know a gentleman who has used a Tracker IV and is simply deadly with it. In short, if your Quick Silver is what you have and you haven't had it long, learn to really use it. depth is only one part of the sport and many a find has been found at 4" or less. My Fisher f-2 is a more capable machine than the 250 and even the 350 I had, but again, just my personal observation. I say the same thing in a comparison with the AT Pro and my F-5 good luck and its like I always say,,,,,It is what it is, until it "is" what it is,,,lol

OP
OP
G

greenwyvern

Apr 11, 2014
Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not dead set on the Garrett at all. I have had the QS for about 6 years I think. Before that mostly White's all the way back to 1984. My QS is doing an ok job for how I use it now. It is just getting old and beat up from residing in my trunk so much and I an ready to move up a notch or two and regulate the QS to back-up duties. I am seriously looking at the Teknetics Alpha and Delta at a local store. Just don't want to rule out the 250 until I heard some input.

Thanks for the answers!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can afford the Delta, you won't regret it. your use to the slower recovery speed of the QS get on Amazon and order a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 they can be had for around $200 and you can get your feet wet using manual ground balancing. Seriously the Garrett Ace 250 is good, worth the hipe, I didn't think so but again, my own opinion. I was told by Garrett that the 350 was a better unit than the 250, and it was really the same. The 350 was better in so far as the DD coil performance, but if you add a DD coil to the 250 it was the same. Here's some recommends I've actually used. Discovery 2200 (Elite 2200 at Big 5 sports) Discovery 3300 (also called the legacy 3500 on metaldetector.com) Bounty Hunter Lonestar (big 5 its the Fortune hunter) Fisher F2 My personal fav. Teknetics Delta my second fav. Again, I've used all these or owned them the Ace 150 and 250 are good too, just not my cup of tea. All these units are under your $200 amount or less if ya look around. Now if ya bump up your amount I'll give ya a whole new list,,,lol Good luck!!

OP
OP
G

greenwyvern

Apr 11, 2014
Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a Eurotek Pro with the 11" dd. Will be a week or two before I can test it out. I feel it is a good move up from the QS without spending a lot of $. We will see.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Awsome way to go, I hear nothing but great things about it,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions