Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an eye opener for me! I have been using both HF coils and most recently focused on the Elliptical. Now I like to run in 74kHz Frequency with the deepest settings and have gotten some impressive depths. I thought that the depth was better with the Elliptical Coil running on 74kHz Frequency than the 9" Coil running on 54kHz Frequency with the same deep settings. I guess I'm totally wrong? I am going to switch back to the 9" HF and use Pitch tones to get some better depth than the Elliptical at the highest frequency. Awesome video.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
You make some of the best videos CD.
I have to agree with you.
That Nine looks like it hit all of you tests better.
When ever I do (and maybe soon) buy a HF coil , I'm leaning towards the 9".
Thanks for another great Video.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a pure science point of view the 9" elliptical DD should not physically separate any better than the 9" DD round at a given common frequency because the separation ability is determined by the width of the spine of the coil where two D-coil s intersect which creates the active field that penetrates the ground. The elliptical will suffer slightly in depth vs. the round because the field strength is lower due to the elliptical design. I think both of these scientific theory statements (which were the source of some online disagreements) are borne out by your tests which I am glad you conducted. Note that the elliptical still has two advantages over the round, the first being the elliptical shape makes it easier to use in tight quarters such as a cellar hole or pit and the second is the higher operating frequency than the round will make it killer on really small gold (though it won't go that deep) and the higher frequency ultimately will give it better separation than the round on very shallow masked targets (also borne out on your video test as the elliptical separated better at the mid HF frequency of 26 khz, though you did not run both coils all the way up to their max frequencies - you might try to run the elevated nail unmasking test at the highest frequency as a sequel video just to see what happens). Thanks CD.

Last edited:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a pure science point of view the 9" elliptical DD should not physically separate any better than the 9" DD round at a given common frequency because the separation ability is determined by the width of the spine of the coil where two D-coil s intersect which creates the active field that penetrates the ground. The elliptical will suffer slightly in depth vs. the round because the field strength is lower due to the elliptical design. I think both of these scientific theory statements (which were the source of some online disagreements) are borne out by your tests which I am glad you conducted. Note that the elliptical still has two advantages over the round, the first being the elliptical shape makes it easier to use in tight quarters such as a cellar hole or pit and the second is the higher operating frequency than the round will make it killer on really small gold (though it won't go that deep) and the higher frequency ultimately will give it better separation than the round on very shallow masked targets (also borne out on your video test as the elliptical separated better at the mid HF frequency of 26 khz, though you did not run both coils all the way up to their max frequencies - you might try to run the elevated nail unmasking test at the highest frequency as a sequel video just to see what happens). Thanks CD.
Agreed 100%.....although a few months ago I did not, until I tested my 9 round vs 9 elyptical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an eye opener for me! I have been using both HF coils and most recently focused on the Elliptical. Now I like to run in 74kHz Frequency with the deepest settings and have gotten some impressive depths. I thought that the depth was better with the Elliptical Coil running on 74kHz Frequency than the 9" Coil running on 54kHz Frequency with the same deep settings. I guess I'm totally wrong? I am going to switch back to the 9" HF and use Pitch tones to get some better depth than the Elliptical at the highest frequency. Awesome video.

At these frequencies, detection depth is a function of conductivity of the target. Theoretically, the detection depth of high conductors like silver will actually decrease with increasing frequency as demonstrated in CD's video tests. However, small mid-conductors such as brass and small gold jewelry may be more detectable at the higher frequencies making the elliptical deeper for those types of targets because of its higher operating frequency

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have witnessed the mid conducters hitting better with the higher freq myself..even though I will probably never run over 28 for relics.
At these frequencies, detection depth is a function of conductivity of the target. Theoretically, the detection depth of high conductors like silver will actually decrease with increasing frequency as demonstrated in CD's video tests. However, small mid-conductors such as brass and small gold jewelry may be more detectable at the higher frequencies making the elliptical deeper for those types of targets because of its higher operating frequency

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have witnessed the mid conducters hitting better with the higher freq myself..even though I will probably never run over 28 for relics.

Totally agree with that, I will run it at 26 - 28 max. unless I was prospecting, at the beach, or focused on finding a specific gold target.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else noticing that the elyptical doesn't seem to overload as bad as the 9" round on big iron? This is the only plus I've noticed over the round.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
havnt used it enough to catch that one.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a deep small buckle at 54 kHz at a 1849 site, probably my deepest target to date with the Deus other than a couple large pieces of iron. Mostly switching between 14.4 kHz and 54 kHz on the 9 inch round HF. The mid conductors vanish at 14.4 kHz and re-appear at 54 kHz. Difficult site, black sand and lots of iron.

Yesterday I ran the 11 inch LF coil for a bit at this site, the loss of target separation was quite obvious vs the 9 inch HF round.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Another informative Calabash tutorial. Interesting results. Stimulates the gray matter.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made some changes to my relic program and found this beauty right under an old brass drawer handle about 7" or 8" deep using the HF Elliptical on 74kHz. I hunt all types of sites, but this one is near downtown and very trashing and awesome. Spent months removing aluminum trash and a few big iron items and found some cool stuff as well with my 9" LF and standard relic program starting with the Deus Fast at 8kHz in Full Tones. About a month ago started exclusively using the Elliptical on this site and only with 74kHz frequency. Switched to the pitch tone with 9.9 Disc and notched all the way to 77 (my experience on this site was that there is nothing good below 77 at this extremely high frequency). Ground balance is still a moving target when I engage both Disc and notching, but not a huge deal with the high frequency.

2017-09-09 00.53.33.jpg 2017-09-09 00.50.42.jpg

The thing is that I had been in the same spot that I found this button with both the 9" LF and 9" HF coils, but with lower frequencies and didn't hear this target. I have to admit that I have found a few more deeper targets with the 9" coils. But even with the reactivity cranked up to 3 and 4 I wasn't able to hear this target at the lower frequencies with either 9" coil. I'm not sure if the max 54kHz with the 9" HF coil would have hit this the same way the Elliptical coil did (signal was a little scratchy and read 94 VID, which is perfect for buttons and the reason that I dug it)?

After watching Calabash's video, I may start using the 9" HF exclusively for my general relic hunting and to start working a permission site. Then use the Elliptical at trashy parks and to clean up and finish the permission site that I started with the 9" HF. Do you think that this is a good strategy?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good plan to me but let see what others think about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread